Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your teams lineup

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Re: Your teams lineup

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    There is some merit to them facing elite competition more consistently, I still think if you looked hard at some big state guys, youd find some flops.

Look at Earls recruiting rewind.

2. Zach Kemerer from Pa
    3. Albert white-illinois(i consider an elite hs state)
    4. Nemec-ohio

there are other big state guys in those rankings that far from lived up to the hype.

It is easy to say "Hey look at Cody Gardner, hes from VA and was a flop. But it happens everywhere.
    A good rule of thumb in my mind is kids from California, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania are more reliable. Studs from these states are more likely to pan out in college, that order was of course random but you could rank them in that regard. Even the best scouts make mistakes from time, there is no such thing as a "can't miss" prospect, that has been proved time and again. However going for a big name kid from a smaller state along the likes of Arizona, Georgia, Texas, Colorado, etc has a lot more risk of grabbing someone who won't pan out. It isn't a question of Ohio kids are always good and Texas kids are always bad. It is a question of risk, a lot of scouting can come done to luck when it comes to picking the right recruits. Finding the Jordan Burroughs versus the David Craig
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Wyoming
    125- Tyler Cox
    133- Zach Zehner, Drew Templeman
    141- Zach Zehner, Cole Mendenhall
    149- Brandon Richardson, Cole Mendenhall
    157- Andy McCulley
    165- Dakota Friesth
    174- Shane Woods, Benjamin Stroh
    184- Shane Woods, Benjamin Stroh
    197- ?
    285- Tanner Harms

Thanks Stravo!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Sorry if my post came off as mysterious. I wasn't so concerned with not revealing who Perry was inquiring about, but I don't want to publicly insult the upper weight blue chipper that has not panned out.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Gophers
    125 Brancale/Kingsley
    133 Thorn/Dardanes
    141 Dardanes/Dardanes
    149 Dardanes/Ness
    157 Ness/Zilverburg/Keogh
    165 Reel/Keogh/Dolezal
    174 Storley
    184 Steinhaus
    197 Schiller
    Hwt Nelson

Just covering all my bases down low.
    Last edited by goferphan; 04-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

No problem! Hopefully Wyoming can fit in Templeman, Mendenhall, and Stroh into their lineups as all three have had fantastic redshirt years. Wyoming has a promising young team with those three, Cox, McCulley, and blue chip recruit Zach Beard coming in.

I think Waters has seen his last days of 125, and a rs year to get acclimated to a higher weight, as well as a stronger team in 2015, are the main reasons. I asked Schavrien what he was weighing these days, and he said 155-160. The other coach joked, "about the same as Waters." I'd love to see him jump to 141, ala Oliver, and kick some tail.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    A good rule of thumb in my mind is kids from California, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania are more reliable. Studs from these states are more likely to pan out in college, that order was of course random but you could rank them in that regard. Even the best scouts make mistakes from time, there is no such thing as a "can't miss" prospect, that has been proved time and again. However going for a big name kid from a smaller state along the likes of Arizona, Georgia, Texas, Colorado, etc has a lot more risk of grabbing someone who won't pan out. It isn't a question of Ohio kids are always good and Texas kids are always bad. It is a question of risk, a lot of scouting can come done to luck when it comes to picking the right recruits. Finding the Jordan Burroughs versus the David Craig
    Do you actually have numbers on this, or are you making it up?

I would be willing to bet that if you broke down top 100 recruits from each state in the past 10 years, you would find far more correlation between national tournament results and College success than state of origin and college success.

I would also be willing to bet that the small states would be scattered throughout the big states for % of top 100 recruits that panned out in college.

The Ashmores may have flopped at OSU but so did Frishkorn, Benefiel, Meade, White, Bailey, Rupp and many others over that 5 year stretch. Actual data would lead much more to a conclusion that the flopping was due to program wide issues since it showed up across all states of origin over that 5 year stretch.

Without looking at actual data you cannot claim something is a trend, and I don't believe the data would support it if you looked.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Sorry if my post came off as mysterious. I wasn't so concerned with not revealing who Perry was inquiring about, but I don't want to publicly insult the upper weight blue chipper that has not panned out.
    Does the last name start with Camp...?
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"