Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your teams lineup

Default Re: Your teams lineup

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Helps prove my point that you shouldn't go after big names from small states
    I agree, but I'm surprised to hear a Kentuckian (is that right?) say that
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

Helps prove my point that you shouldn't go after big names from small states
    Didnt he have some good fargo results? The stroke your painting is too simplistic and broad. If he only had state results thats one thing...
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I really thought Tnick's presence would help finch-kid has shown ZERO improvement
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Ryak started coming on at the end of the season. I don't know why he struggled so much early. But alot of the team struggled early. Maybe it took longer for him to buy into what even changes the coaching staff made.

Also as far as Troy Nickerson goes, he is the only one in the room that can get on the mat with the light weights, so that is a hinderance for development. Our middle and upper weights have Trent and Travis, Jon Reader, Deron Winn, Evan Brown and KJ.

Also, I heard that Mitch Mueller, the Gallicks were getting back in the room more the last half of the season, maybe that help with some late season improvement.

Not sure, I also hear we are trying to get a light weight senior level wrestler on CWC. Not done yet thou.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Didnt he have some good fargo results? The stroke your painting is too simplistic and broad. If he only had state results thats one thing...
    Not sure if it was Fargo but he did do well at a couple national tournaments. But the Ashmore's are perfect examples of my point. National results are not you can't trust these guys to pan out. There are of course exceptions (Yates, Hamlin, Ruschell, etc). It is far safer to go with guys from more establish states
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Falcon's point is interesting, as I just heard about this this past weekend.

Mark Perry had called a coach in our area to inquire about an upper weight wrestler and what his skills were, etc. for recruitment purposes. This coach asked him why he was interested in him (has only won one state title so far) and Perry said that with upper weight wrestlers who are continually developing they offer far more promise than ones who come out of high school as blue chippers. In many cases, as Perry said, they simply don't pan out, and you get your best recruits from wrestlers who are still developing their skills out of high school.

Now, consider some of the upper weight blue chippers over the years, and Perry makes a decent point. Without mentioning names, there's one GREAT case in point of that right now.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Gustafson is tough. Forest Park came up to Delaware for a couple of tournaments early in the year, he's fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpollo View Post
    Virginia Tech
    125 Dance
    133 Spjut/Gustafson
    141 Carter
    149 Niebert
    157 Brascetta
    165 Moon
    174 Gabel/Epperly
    184 Vetterlein
    197 Borlie
    285 Walz

3 returning AAs (Carter, Niebert, Brascetta) and a decent chance for a 4th (Borlie or Dance).
    Still unclear on 157 and whether or not Brascetta is going to be the guy or will RS.
    I think Gustafson is a kid who is a bit under the radar. Beat Brandon Jeske this year in the state semi and looked good in the national tournaments early in the season (3rd at Beast and Powerade). Rolling around with Dance, Carter, Niebert will only make him better.
    Not sure what the plan is for Epperly. Gabel was pretty tough this season.
    Look for VT to move up a spot or two next year even after losing Yates and Garnett.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Had some good Fargo results, and wrestled well in other age group events like FILA Juniors.

Might have even made a junior world team, I can't recall though.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Not sure if it was Fargo but he did do well at a couple national tournaments. But the Ashmore's are perfect examples of my point. National results are not you can't trust these guys to pan out. There are of course exceptions (Yates, Hamlin, Ruschell, etc). It is far safer to go with guys from more establish states
    I don't think that's true at all honestly. Yes, in a vacuum a 4x PA champ will do better than a 4x AZ champ, but there are too many other factors too consider. It's an easy thing to say, but not really the reality of the situation.

PA, Ohio, NJ produce their fair share of flops.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.