Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Goodale Job Security

Default Re: Scott Goodale Job Security

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Yes and in this day and age, no AD fires someone prior to end of a contract without advice of legal counsel, internal or external. ....And no AD acts contradictory to the advice........sole reason the top attorney at Rutgers was fired.....before Pernetti resigned.
    In that case, almost no football coach would ever be fired, because they nearly always have "rolling contracts" that automatically extend themselves for recruiting purposes.

What this sounds like is Pernetti wanted to fire Rice "for cause", to try to get out of paying Rice the rest of his salary, by saying Rice breached his contract somehow with his behavior, but was unwilling to fire Rice and keep paying him.

Initially he wanted to fire Rice, but was blocked by the General Counsel and HR. He went along with rehabilitation. By the way, there was not a single recurrence with Rice after he attended behavior management.

Pernetti didn't fire him the Pres gave the word.

Yes and in this day and age, no AD fires someone prior to end of a contract without advice of legal counsel, internal or external. ....And no AD acts contradictory to the advice........sole reason the top attorney at Rutgers was fired.....before Pernetti resigned.

He may have been within his legal right to do so as AD, but not within his University authority. That required approval of the General Counsel. And, it was General Counsel that was fired, not an Assistant Counsel in the office.
    All I know is Rutgers leadership is awful somewhere. If it's not Pernetti, oh well. He's far from blameless. You'll never convince me otherwise.

I'm glad that after Rice got caught, he stopped abusing students. But let's be real, he had to or he was done. People will do lots of thingss to keep their jobs. It wasn't as though Rice had some epiphinay about the error of his ways and changed his behavior because he knew it was wrong. He got caught, and shaped up so he wouldn't get fired.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

He may have been within his legal right to do so as AD, but not within his University authority. That required approval of the General Counsel. And, it was General Counsel that was fired, not an Assistant Counsel in the office.
    I'm afraid there is probably a lot of truth to this. When someone is under contract (they do go both ways) and there is interest in terminating for something legal/procedural (for lack of a better term), it almost becomes harder to fire someone. When you get into federal and state employment contracts, things become much more difficult (it sound like he was being treated as a state employee. If not, this doesn't apply). To terminate someone in that scenario, a crap load of procedures need to be followed, or it is almost a guarantee that there will be a (successful) wrongful termination suit.

RYou Scott Goodale? Goodale is horrible. I thought it was a bad hire years ago. Who hires a high school coach to coach a div I program? Since he's been there, I've been waiting for Rutgers to turn the corner and start doing some damage but it hasn't happened. It's not as great as PSU, but it is in a hotbed of great high school wrestling. Shouldnt they be better? time for a new coach.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Virginia Tech also hired a high school coach to coach a Division I program, how badly has that turned out for them?

BTW, of the last four Rutgers basketball coaches. three of them have been canned because of, or in the wake of, bad behavior. One would hope that, after Kevin Bannon, Fred Hill Jr., and now Mike Rice, Rutgers would hire Mother Theresa as their next basketball coach. Then again, I thought my alma mater up the Turnpike would do just that after firing Bobby Gonzalez, and we hired somebody with a DWI already on their criminal record!

Quote Originally Posted by SetonHallPirate View Post
    Virginia Tech also hired a high school coach to coach a Division I program, how badly has that turned out for them?

Dresser is from Iowa so you can't count him. He was going to succeed no matter what.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Dresser is from Iowa so you can't count him. He was going to succeed no matter what.
    Haha! Dresser is in such a recruiting hotbed in Southwest VA.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    When you get into federal and state employment contracts, things become much more difficult (it sound like he was being treated as a state employee. If not, this doesn't apply). To terminate someone in that scenario, a crap load of procedures need to be followed, or it is almost a guarantee that there will be a (successful) wrongful termination suit.
    Yes they are all state employees. There is significant history of wrongful termination suits from coaches in recent history, particularly out in the west. It is most difficult to fire a coach because of a losing record.

As for Goodale, over the past 3 years RU has posted wins over Missouri, Virginia Tech, American (when they were hot), Arizona State, Stanford (twice), and Lehigh. Not too shabby. Granted there were some inexplicable losses in the mix, i.e., Iowa State and Navy this year.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.