Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dake wins Hodge Trophy

Default Re: Dake wins Hodge Trophy

I figure you'd be happy that he beat two Nittny Lions more so than two Hawks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Besides Ruth, Oliver, and Dake who else was undefeated this year?
    Q - and don't forget Logan Stieber (who is a top 3 Hodge type guy) ... oh, and Maple

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Besides Ruth, Oliver, and Dake who else was undefeated this year?
    Did Tony Nelson get beat this year?

Yes, Dom Bradley got him 2-1 in the tie breaker.

Call me crazy, but from a team standpoint, I'd still rather have Taylor (who got more team points than Dake this tournament) than Dake. More team points and I think Taylor is a much better team leader than Dake, who seems interested in himself only.

A well deserving choice for one of the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eisenhauer View Post
    who seems interested in himself only.
    Putting aside the fact that (in my opinion) all great wrestlers have to have an inherent selfishness about them, this is still ridiculous.

Two years ago ESPN showed Dake going nuts in cheering the stands during both Bosak's and Simaz's finals matches.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I don't recall ever being inspired by a team captain (or other wrestler) on my team in all of the years I ever wrestled. I never wrestled to please anyone except myself. In my opinion, wrestling isn't a team sport anyway. They keep track of team totals but it's arguably one of the most solo sports out there (golf, bowling, boxing, swimming, and others do compare though).

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I don't recall ever being inspired by a team captain (or other wrestler) on my team in all of the years I ever wrestled.
    I do. I was the only freshman on the varsity HS team. I weighed around 90lbs. None of my friends were on the varsity bus to the tournaments. I was scared and lonely. David Carder, our senior 138, made it a point to sit next to me on the bus. He was a stud of the school. He didn't talk down to me, he didn't belittle me. He made it a point to be a friend. We talked everything Motley Crue and Judas Priest. He sat in the assistant coaches chair during my matches. He made me want to continue to wrestle. It doesn't always take a pep talk to inspire someone.