Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 28

Thread: Pat Smith

  1. #10
    National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Posts
    944

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Stories about Gable are the stuff legends are made of.
    This reminds me of one of my dad's stories from when he was at Ok State in the late 80's. My dad was one of the top hecklers for the Ok State wrestling team at that time. To make a long story short he almost got into a fight with Dan Gable at an Iowa vs Ok State dual
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

  2. #11

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    This reminds me of one of my dad's stories from when he was at Ok State in the late 80's. My dad was one of the top hecklers for the Ok State wrestling team at that time. To make a long story short he almost got into a fight with Dan Gable at an Iowa vs Ok State dual
    It's the internet, long stories don't get short--they get embellished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  3. #12
    National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Posts
    944

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    It's the internet, long stories don't get short--they get embellished.
    Well here it goes

    It was an Iowa at Ok State dual, my dad HATES Dan Gable, blames him for Lee Roy never getting to wrestle on an Olympic Team. This would've been around '87 or '88 I believe, since my parents had started dating already. So my parents are watching the dual meet and one of the Iowa wrestlers makes an obscene gesture after losing a match. My dad doesn't take to kindly to this and starts cursing him out from the stands. I can't remember who it was but I do remember being told he was quite a bit bigger then my dad (not hard my dad weighed about 140 pounds). The Iowa wrestler starts jawing back at my dad and things start to get heated. Gable comes over to calm down his wrestler, and my dad thinks it would be a great idea to shout "F*** you Gable! You worthless piece of S***!" As one would expect Gable doesn't take to kindly to this. Next thing we know Gable is marching towards the stands ready to take a shot at my dad. Thankfully the head assistant at the time ran over and pulled Gable away at the last second.

    You can tell my dad had a problem when this isn't the only story of him on the verge of getting beat up by someone bigger then him. When people ask me what I think I'm doing by picking fights as a 125 pounder I just have to say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" haha.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

  4. #13

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    That's like joining the witness protection program.
    I just spit my coffee up on that one...

  5. #14

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    I can honestly say that I have never seen a single Pat Smith match. I've seen several Gable highlights, Cael matches, Dake matches, even John Smith matches. But not a single Pat Smith match. What was his strength? Did he have the low single? Could he ride? Did he throw? Did he even really exist?

  6. #15
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,016

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    That's like joining the witness protection program.
    I have to second that - this may be the funniest post I have read in the 5 or so years I have been reading here.
    Stunningly, it was a comment from Flop and had absolutely nothing dirty/inappropriate in it. Flop is multitalented...

  7. #16

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I have to second that - this may be the funniest post I have read in the 5 or so years I have been reading here.
    Stunningly, it was a comment from Flop and had absolutely nothing dirty/inappropriate in it. Flop is multitalented...
    The stunning thing is that I actually do try to remain safe for work on this website, I think I'm successful for the most part.
    Last edited by Flop The Nuts; 04-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.

  8. #17
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never seen a single Pat Smith match. I've seen several Gable highlights, Cael matches, Dake matches, even John Smith matches. But not a single Pat Smith match. What was his strength? Did he have the low single? Could he ride? Did he throw? Did he even really exist?
    Yes on the low single, which is the only thing I remember about the few matche sI saw of his.

  9. #18

    Default Re: Pat Smith

    At the very least, you can see his final NCAA match against the kid from Michigan on youtube.com.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •