Thread: Thoughts on Des Moines as the Host City

Default Thoughts on Des Moines as the Host City

For those that attended this year. What were your thought or impressions of Des Moines in General. Also, What did Des Moines get right or wrong; In regards to the tournament? Just curious.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Default Re: Thoughts on Des Moines as the Host City

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    For those that attended this year. What were your thought or impressions of Des Moines in General. Also, What did Des Moines get right or wrong; In regards to the tournament? Just curious.
    Glad you started this Wiltz, I was curious myself. And also how the arena compared with other venues from the past. I heard it was run very well.

It was great! The wrestling was at an all time best also...IMO

Thanks trusty. Anyone else?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Parking was extemely easy to get to. No lines for parking. Fanfest was great. Watched OTC practice and drank a couple beers. Skywalk makes it nice getting around. A little tight around the outside of the matches for the wrestlers and coaches to get to and from the mats. Plenty of cheap tickets being scalped outside. Much, much better than I feared.

I thought Des Moines as a city was very nice . The arena was cramped and restrooms were a joke. For a championship that was hard to get tickets for saw more empty seats than in the past. Just read the Foley article on intermat and glad I missed the police thing. Overall still a better location than Detroit my worst ever.

I thought the town was great and the facility and staff were very nice. I also thought that some matches were affected by the lack of room on the outside. Folks were sitting taking pictures and the score tables were too close. Some action was stopped early because of the lack room. I always watch the officating and overall it was very good. Two officials in my opinion were inconsistent with their calls compared to the overall officiating. That is usually a problem in any tournament though. The championships will probably have to be awarded to larger events centers that hold 20,000 plus fans in the future. A great time in Des Moines though. A much larger city than I imagined with plenty to do and lots of great food. Thanks to everyone for working so hard to make the 2013 NCAA Wrestling Championships a fantastic event.
    Last edited by Santos; 03-31-2013 at 02:11 PM.

For those who have attended more than one and in different cities. Are the overall costs about the same? What are those costs? Don't factor in flying or driving, I'm just talking about once you are there. Hotels, restaurants, bars, tickets, hookers......