Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Best College Wrestlers Ever

Default Re: Best College Wrestlers Ever

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    Ben did make the olympic team, although his results there weren't stellar. I think he jumped to MMA before we could really get a good feel on what his ceiling was in international competition
    I agree with that. I've chatted with Arm-Spin and he says that several funky guys have had success in international styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Yeah, if I remember correctly BA would look brilliant at some times and not so good at others, sometimes in the same match. Specifically, he had a couple of habits that worked for him in folkstyle and lower level freestyle competitions that he couldn't get away with. He would stand too high up in his stance and guys would just blast right through him without giving him a chance to counter. Also, he would take bad shots and use his grip strength and tenacity to finish them; not going to work on the best.

BA definitely had elite level talent. He was great on top, and he knocked off some world medallists. You can't make mistakes and expect to be world champion though.

Are we off subject enough to ask if Nick Simmons is going to make another run at the Olympics? If so, is Nick Simmons going to make another run at the Olympics? If not, skip this post.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Are we off subject enough to ask if Nick Simmons is going to make another run at the Olympics? If so, is Nick Simmons going to make another run at the Olympics? If not, skip this post.
    It's april. Theres nothing off topic.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

No idea about Simmons...

Does anyone more familiar with him know if Mark McKnight has a legitimate shot at the team? He just won the Pan Ams. I watched him wrestle live once; never seen someone so aggressive. He was almost vibrating with energy, it was crazy to watch. Also had a really close match with Cejudo the year Cejudo won it all. This was all years ago though.

Unless Nick has had a serious change of heart expect to see him in the mix again after this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I can say that Mark is wrestling the best freestyle he ever has, and yes, that's his energy level. He is a fun, fun guy and it's pretty cool to watch him turn on the focus on the mat.
    What I can't say is what the competition will be like this year. It seems like no one has an absolute lock on the spot at 55kg.

The thread title is 'Best College Wrestler Ever'. Impressive accomplishments don't necessarily mean the 'best' in my opinion. I think Jordan Burroughs would have beaten Dake had they wrestled in finals. But that doesn't mean that Burroughs was a more accomplished wrestler than Dake. Some wrestlers shine in the big spotlight. Like Mark Schultz. He moved up a weight class to challenge Ed or Lou Banach and beat him. He was only a 3x ncaa champ but I would take him over Dake. Only because Dake moved up so many weight classes that I think Schultz, being a natural 165 lbs, might have been stronger and he had the same ability and desire in the big matches. It's hard to top 'undefeated'. Just the pressure for four full years is a tremendous stress. Dan Gable let Larry Owings get into his head. Would Dake, or Schultz, or Tom Brands? There are certain wrestlers who are physically gifted, mentally strong, and have that personality that loves the big match atmosphere. Dake is definitely one of those wrestlers.