Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best College Wrestlers Ever

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Re: Best College Wrestlers Ever

Well my guesses for Worlds this year, which will probably be totally off as they were for the 2012 Olympic Team

55- Angel? I have no idea
    60- Stieber
    66- Oliver
    74- Burroughs
    84- Herbert
    96- Varner
    120- Bradley

I think the weight jump would be wayyyy too much for Dake. I actually like the idea of Dake doing Greco. My 2016 lineup also has Burroughs over Dake
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

84 would just be too darn big for Dake IMO. Those guys won't just have mass on him, but a lot of reach too. He could potentially win the world team spot at 84 some time, bu I don't think he'd do well at the worlds. Better chance to try and beat Burroughs. Even if he can't do it right away, Dake has room to improve, and Burroughs might get hurt, burned out, ect.

Varner and Herbert currently not ranked in the US freestyle rankings, so I don't know if they are competing. Herbert had surgery for an injury I think, whereas Varner entered one tournament this year, wrestled poorly, and then didn't show for the world cup.

The most interesting matchup IMO will be at 60 kg, Scorr vs Stieber. The way Scott was wrestling last year, he's a world title threat. The way he's been wrestling this year so far, Stieber would beat him... interesting to see how he shows up at the trials. I think 60 kg is pretty open this year internationally too.

I debated not putting Varner and Herbert in since I also am not sure about their return, replacing them with Ruth and Sigman but considering Varner and Herbert are medal threats if they bring their A game I was hoping that they would show up
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

After thinking about it I'd replace Angel with Blanc. I always underestimate Obe because of how much he underperformed for us

I have been touting Angel for awhile at 55kg. I think im jumping off his bandwagon. I like Obe. Not sure who I favor yet.
    Varner must be stepping away. I know for a fact Hebert wont be in the mix this spring/summer as es recovering from surgery I believe.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Angel's shoulder is pretty much shot . IF he were healthy I'd pick him all day .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Max Askren says his back is finally healthy. I like his chances at 84. Remember him as a freshman, before his injury? He was pinning JD Bergman, and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Max Askren says his back is finally healthy. I like his chances at 84. Remember him as a freshman, before his injury? He was pinning JD Bergman, and the likes.
    Max is really good but I don't think the Askren style isn't the best for freestyle. Look at Ben, one of the greatest wrestlers of his generation and his international success. If they don't pick up the pin then I'm constantly worried watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Max is really good but I don't think the Askren style isn't the best for freestyle. Look at Ben, one of the greatest wrestlers of his generation and his international success. If they don't pick up the pin then I'm constantly worried watching them.
    Ben did make the olympic team, although his results there weren't stellar. I think he jumped to MMA before we could really get a good feel on what his ceiling was in international competition
    Gold is an idiot.