A strong argument can be made that Dake is the greatest collegiate wrestler over Sanderson. If you look at who they beat to get each of their 4 titles, there is no contest....
- 1999: Branden Eggum (1x RU, 3x AA)
- 2000: Vertus Jones (1x RU, 3x AA)
- 2001: Daniel Cormier (1x RU, 2x JUCO NC)
- 2002: Jon Trenge (2x RU, 3x AA)
- 2010: Montell Marion (2x RU, 3x AA)
- 2011: Frank Molinaro (1x NC, 1x RU, 4x AA)
- 2012: Derek St. John (1x NC, 1x RU, 3x AA, 1 year remains)
- 2013: David Taylor (1x NC, 2x RU, Hodge Trophy, 1 year remains)
It is very possible that DSJ becomes a 2x champ/3x finalist/4x AA and Taylor becomes a 2x champ/4x finalist/2x Hodge Trophy winner. Sanderson's best opponent achievement wise (Trenge) is equivalent to Dake's worst opponent (Marion). Dake also won without a redshirt in 4 different weight classes. Granted, Dake has 4 losses vs Sanderson's zero, but what ultimately matters is who you beat on the biggest stage. You can also make the argument that 141-165 are deeper and more challenging weight classes than 184-197, but I won't go there. Personally, I'd rank Sanderson as #1 and Dake as #2, but I can understand putting Dake as #1.