Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Finals

Default Re: Thoughts on Finals

Ramos looks like he's not sucking very hard to get to 33 but it's hard to tell just by looking at a TV screen. If he had wrestled at 41 this year then I think he may have won, although Maple looks to be about 2x his size. I know noone ever wants to admit to moving to another weight class to avoid someone, but what do you think the chances are that Ramos is at a different weight next year?

I would say the chances of Ramos not being at 133 are almost zero. He would be undersized at 141 and while I think he could make 125 I don't think he has any interest in cutting harder than he has the past three years at this point. Josh dziewa will be at 141 while the winner of Clark/Gilman will be at 125. I would be very surprised if those are not the guys at 125, 133 and 141 next year.

From what I've read, I gather there's a good chance that Stieber is moving up a weight. I wonder if Graff might as well. If Stieber moves up, Ramos is sitting pretty at 133!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I understand I'm an Iowa fan but what in that match showed that Stieber is just on "another level"? He almost pinned himself because Ramos got in super deep and instead of giving up a takedown Stieber tried to get cute and in all honesty it was a coin flip as to whether backs were warranted there. Ramos was also in deep at the end with about 15 seconds left. Nothing in that match led me to believe that Stieber is on another level.
    Since I wrote it I guess I should defend it, trouble is I kind of agree with you. Stieber just seems so in control of the match he never seems in danger of losing (except when he's pinning himself). But you're right, "another level" might have been a bit of an exaggeration. Your comparison with Dake/Taylor was a good example; Dake owns Taylor but their matches are so close I don't think he's on another level.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Do you have a good resource for that list? I enjoy reading it. College Scorebook has a page you can query and it tells a slightly different story: It has Dake in a 3 way tie for second. Still better than I thought. I figured Kilgore was going to run away with it after his early season start.
    1 20 Hunter Weber North Dakota State University ND Division I WWC 125 M FR 26 - 9
    2 18 Aaron (A.J.) Schopp Edinboro PA Division I EWL 133 M RSSO 29 - 3
    2 18 Dustin Kilgore Kent State OH Division I MAC 197 M RSJR 39 - 0
    2 18 Kyle Dake Cornell NY Division I EIWA 165 M SR 32 - 0
    5 17 Jordan Oliver Oklahoma State OK Division I Big 12 149 M RSSR 33 - 0
    6 16 Andrew Delaney The Citadel SC Division I SoCon 285 M RSSR 37 - 7
    7 15 Cody Copeland Lock Haven PA Division I EWL 157 M FR 25 -

Wait a minute. 20 of Hunter Weber's 26 wins were pins?

Ok, so NWCA stats show a Div 1 record of 8-5. That makes more sense.
    Last edited by jammen; 03-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    From what I've read, I gather there's a good chance that Stieber is moving up a weight. I wonder if Graff might as well. If Stieber moves up, Ramos is sitting pretty at 133!
    Steiber moves up and then his younger bro takes a redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Steiber moves up and then his younger bro takes a redshirt?
    From what Ive heard Hunter will go 149. tOSU lineup should look something like this:

125- Roberts or Tomasello
    133- Dijulius
    141 Logan
    149 Hunter
    157 Bo Jordan
    165 Demas
    174 Martin
    184 Courts
    197 Heflin
    285 Tavanello

What a great NCAA finals this year. Lots of great matches and after thoughts already posted. I just wanted to make a few comments about the 165lb "main event." After the first three bouts I wasn't convinced yet that Dake was the better wrestler but their last match has really shown me that right now this is the reality, as so many are also posting. The thing that really stuck out to me was how well poised and tactical Dake is as a wrestler. The ability to stick to what you're good at as well as adjust to the situation. This is what set them apart in that finals match to me. Much appreciation and respect to that individual for a well deserved win. With that said, I'm a huge DT fan and have followed him since HS. A couple things that I was thinking might have made the match more interesting, DT not throwing that leg in on the ride after he scored the TD. Dake has put DT in trouble several other times from catching that leg coming in or grabbing it once it's in. The other one is choosing neutral instead of going down in the third. To me, he had a better chance of creating action for himself from neutral than from bottom. You can always gamble but that's all that is when Dake is on top. You might get out, but you probably won't. Good luck to these two guys and I hope to see more from them in FS.

Quote Originally Posted by rynekey54 View Post
    From what Ive heard Hunter will go 149. tOSU lineup should look something like this:

125- Roberts or Tomasello
    133- Dijulius
    141 Logan
    149 Hunter
    157 Bo Jordan
    165 Demas
    174 Martin
    184 Courts
    197 Heflin
    285 Tavanello
    Yes, I think there is a Flo interview where Hunter talks about going 149 if Logan bumps up. Interesting to see both guys bulk up. What does that do for Logan's international weight?