Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: J Oliver

Default Re: J Oliver

Didn't he lose two matches he was favored last year (including the final)? I think that's where it comes from. Also has missed weight (or bumped up, I dunno) in freestyle and then lost a few times, including against Chamberlain by agonizing boredom. FILA Junior Freestyle Challenge Tournament Final 66kg - Jason Chamberlain vs. Jordan Oliver - YouTube
    Last edited by arm-spin; 03-16-2013 at 11:14 PM.

He's not been Jordan Stalliver since his freshman year. He's the number two lock to win a championship, but not by far, behind Ruth this year. I really like him, which is weird, because his freshman year, I really couldnt stand him much.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Percentage wise 11-9 is closer than5-3.
    ODH busting out the wrestling math. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Didn't he lose two matches he was favored last year (including the final)? I think that's where it comes from. Also has missed weight (or bumped up, I dunno) in freestyle and then lost a few times, including against Chamberlain by agonizing boredom. FILA Junior Freestyle Challenge Tournament Final 66kg - Jason Chamberlain vs. Jordan Oliver - YouTube
    For what its worth this match was after Oliver's underwhelming (for him anyway) freshman year. I remember watching that match when it happened.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I feel like there's a lot of "JO underperforms" sentiment, and I can't help but be completely baffled.

He had an up and down Freshman year and at NCAA's he placed 4th behind 3 absolute studs. He devastated everyone his sophomore year, and lost in very controversial fashion not being given a takedown his junior year. A position I have seen two given at least 15 times since that match. Also, Logan Stieber, he's kind of good.

Since that match, he's steamrolled everyone up at 149 including the 4 seed. So I don't get the underperform stuff.
    I didn't realize his 6-4 win over Ness where he ran the last 15 seconds was a steamroll. I guess we have different definitions of steamrolled.
    The NCAA selection committee just screwed the Gophers on seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengopher View Post
    I didn't realize his 6-4 win over Ness where he ran the last 15 seconds was a steamroll. I guess we have different definitions of steamrolled.
    I love statements like this. What exactly is the smart call in a close match with short time? Just because he didn't Dan Dennis it doesn't mean he was running.

Oliver is 33-0 with 17 pins, 3 techs and 8 majors. Overall Oliver has been very dominant at this weight, just barely off the pace he was setting 2 weights down. Always beware of hanging your hat on close losses.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengopher View Post
    Well now you know.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I predicted Ness over Oliver, so I don't think Oliver is a lock at all.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...