Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Results 73 to 81 of 122

Thread: Ramos Vs Schopp

  1. #73

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    If Graff and Ramos wrestle to seed, and Graff is the 4th seed, Ramos isn't likely to see Graff unless Ramos were to somehow get the 1 seed.

    I think BBL is saying that Graff and Conaway would wrestle for 3rd and 4th.

    My understanding of number of seedings, is that if the B1G qualifies 9 or more spots, they will seed all twelve guys at that weight. If 8 or less qualify at a weight, then there will only be 8 seeds.

  2. #74

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    One would have to assume, although my assumptions arent always right, that 133 in the B1G will get at the very least 8 NCAA qualifiers. Maybe even more than that.

  3. #75

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I think BBL is saying that Graff and Conaway would wrestle for 3rd and 4th.
    This thread has taken a weird turn, we first started out with Ramos/Schopp, went into Ramos/Graff, and now Graff/Conaway. Who is clamoring for a Graff/Conaway rematch, unless you believe Graff lost because he hurt his head?

  4. #76

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    I haven't read all of the comments, so I'm not sure how on track my comments will be, but I definitely see Stieber winning this weight class this year, and Ramos finishing second.

    However, it's always hard for me to see how Graff doesn't clean up his weight class every year, as every time I see the guy wrestle he just completely takes apart his opponent with takedown after takedown. His recent match against Wolfensperger, who is no slouch, was almost embarrassing to watch before he eventually pinned him.

    I guess I'm saying that it's unfortunate for him that he's always in a weight class where there are guys at the top above him, but, in his own right, he would be a VERY deserving national champ to me; he just always seems that good to me when I watch him.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 02-22-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #77

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    Graff is a good wrestler. I just don't think he is on the same level as Tony or Logan right now. I do think Graff is obviously better than Conaway, and will beat him if they meet at Big 10's fairly easy. This issue I have with Daisy is "slight edge to Graff" over Ramos. Just because Graff was at the OTC doesn't make him better than anyone else. The OTC is totally different wrestling than College. I think Ramos might be in the best shape of any wrestler in the country. If you are going to beat Ramos you better have a spare tank of gas on your back as it will take all of that and more. Graff does seem to gas in the 3rd period (not just against Conaway) which has been evident in his past NCAA performances. Daisy I think you are not giving enough credit to Ramos for what he has accomplished this year. He has had what like 2 matches all year that were not bonus point W's?

  6. #78
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,016

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    I think part of the weird turn is my fault. I may have misread an earlier post, maybe it got edited, or maybe I had a thought that didn't quite become reality. I'm not really interested in a Graff/Conaway rematch, though I would take it a a good sign. Assuming they are 3/4 seeds, I think the most likely places for them to meet at the finals or the 3/4 match. Either would mean a really good finish and not just a slot at NCAAs, but probably a decent seed as well. I would probably jump in the Des Moines river if Conaway beat Graff in the B10 finals, and I think I might have plenty of company.

    I have enjoyed the path this thread has taken though.

  7. #79

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Well Graff obviously doesn't have a gas tank like Ramos. Graff will gas like he always does and Ramos would run circles around him at that time. Ramos and Streebler are on different plants than Graff. Graff needs to prove he belongs before saying stuff like this.

    This is just getting asinine. Graff APPEARS to gas in ONE match after cutting down to 133 for one of the first times of the season and makes Conaway look absolutely silly the first 2+ periods and did hit his head.

    And then the old Iowa arrogance shows up AGAIN and you claim Graff needs to "prove he belongs?" Yeah, Graff hasn't proven anything, right? Aside from beating Ramos, being a two time AA already as a True Frosh and a Soph and wrestling extremely well on the next level....but hey, maybe someday he'll "prove he belongs," among Ramos, right?
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

  8. #80

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Yes, he is. As a side note, I'd be surprised if that weight went to seed (at least 1-6).
    I think back in the day that Big10s would wrestle all the way to the 9/10 place match because there were so many qualifying spots available. Does anyone know how far down they wrestle now? Do they still go all the way down? It seems kind of comical to say you "placed" 9th or 10th when there were only 11 guys.
    Sure, and yet there are some weights in which you'd still be one of the top 20 potentially in the country if you took 9th in the B10's. And there are 12 guys. 174 is a perfect example.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

  9. #81

    Default Re: Ramos Vs Schopp

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I haven't read all of the comments, so I'm not sure how on track my comments will be, but I definitely see Stieber winning this weight class this year, and Ramos finishing second.

    However, it's always hard for me to see how Graff doesn't clean up his weight class every year, as every time I see the guy wrestle he just completely takes apart his opponent with takedown after takedown. His recent match against Wolfensperger, who is no slouch, was almost embarrassing to watch before he eventually pinned him.

    I guess I'm saying that it's unfortunate for him that he's always in a weight class where there are guys at the top above him, but, in his own right, he would be a VERY deserving national champ to me; he just always seems that good to me when I watch him.

    I think Graff simply isn't good enough on top. He's not as well rounded. I think this is why he does better wrestling some of the best in the world in Freestyle than he would in Folkstyle. He's not as well rounded, and I hate to say it, but he doesn't have a dominant ride that he can use to chew up 30-40 seconds when he absolutely has to. I've always believed that if you can beat a guy on your feet and get out on bottom, that's good enough, but Graff hasn't been able to finish his TD's vs Ness or Oliver. For him, that's it. If he can't get past a guys defense, he can't beat the top guys(usually, he did beat the #5 seed from Hofstra 1-0 as a Freshmen before he got to Ness I believe). This gas tank stuff is complete garbage.

    And I agree with you, Graff is certainly capable of winning a National Title, and he HAS run up against some of the elite guys in the nation. He lost to Oliver in what was a close match(TD at the buzzer in the 1st, and then a TD when Graff was chasing him down 3-1 in the final minute) and a loss to Ness the year before when he was the Hodge winner.

    I'd like to know which of these matches he's gassed in as Chop has suggested though. What NCAA performance has it been "evident," in Chop? Please do share....



    Now Stieber is obviously a stud. I think he never should have won it last year. I think Oliver got COMPLETELY hosed on that final TD, but he's still a star. And Ramos is clearly much better than he was when Graff beat him. I saw him wrestle in HS and thought he'd end up burning out, and it looked even more like he would early at Iowa. Luckily he hasn't. He's completely taken off and is now one of the best wrestlers in the country. It's just the complete disrespect that he has for Graff that's a bit obnoxious.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •