Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics

Default Re: IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    This decision is stupid and awful and I hope it gets reversed. That said, I can't help thinking about what wrestling might look like without having to cater to the IOC's demands. Sufficient weight classes, seeded brackets, sudden-death overtime as the only tiebreaker... good times.
    As a sidebar, Judo is constantly monkeying with the rules, supposed at the request of the IOC, and they have made dramatic changes again. But one of the rules they have change this round was to change from a three minute sudden death OT with a judges decision if there was no score at the end of three minutes to an unlimited sudden death OT where it does not end until the first penalty or penalty is awarded.

There are simple and LEGAL ways to take care of this.

Every member of the committee is known. They all have families.

So, take every opportunity to file suit against them. Let them and their children, wives, husbands, boy & girlfriends, mothers and relatives know how you feel at every opportunity, public and private.

File suit when anyone associated frowns at you - for mental distress or implied assault.

Use the legal system to make their lives a living hell.

Nothing is as bad as trying to fight legal challenges from a few hundred directions at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    There are simple and LEGAL ways to take care of this.

Every member of the committee is known. They all have families.

So, take every opportunity to file suit against them. Let them and their children, wives, husbands, boy & girlfriends, mothers and relatives know how you feel at every opportunity, public and private.

File suit when anyone associated frowns at you - for mental distress or implied assault.

Use the legal system to make their lives a living hell.

Nothing is as bad as trying to fight legal challenges from a few hundred directions at the same time.
    As bad as this situation is, it involves a SPORT, not life or death. Unless you are making an unfunny joke, your solution is an irresponsible suggestion to commit harassment and abuse of process, and is by far out of proportion with the problem.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Some great responses all over the media about this. It's sad that it takes the sport being dropped from the Olympics for the mainstream sports and general media to take note of how much wrestling embodies what the Olympics is all about.

The latest news I'm reading is that the IOC has changed it's selection process due in part to the backlash they're getting from the wrestling world. No longer is the May meeting very important. They will now allow the entire assembly to choose among the sports asking for inclusion, and they can add up to 3 to the 2020 program. Of course, I'm hoping that the Russians will turn out in force for that May meeting in St. Petersburg. I hope the executive committee members are feeling rather dumb and even a bit uneasy about how swift and powerful the backlash has been from the worldwide wrestling community. Especially given the fact that using the IOC's own criteria for inclusion as a core sport, wrestling ranks in the top 5 in nearly every category compared to the other 25 on their list.

New wrestling head says sport must reform rules to regain Olympic status | CTV News the new head of FILA speaking sense! He is arguing for simpler, more spectator-friendly rules, seeded draws, and no clinches!

I'm in full support as long as they get it right this time, and don't come with a whole new bizarre set of rules and procedures. As the head of FILA says, simple and fan-friendly is what is needed.

guarded optimism at best.

I might be in the minority but I love the current freestyle rules. Greco rules are terrible. But freestyle is great. Having to win 2 out of 3 periods makes those russians have to take more chances. I remember the days when a russian would get a td right away and not take another chance for the next 5 minutes.

I also enjoy watching current freestyle, but it's too complicated. On the canadian forum there was recently a 2 page discussion (among world class wrestlers and coaches) about who won a certain tiebreak situation. Likewise, people sprawling as they go out of bounds are causing a never-ending headache for referees (in Canada anyway). And why the hell is takedown criteria different when you are in a clinch? Rediculous. You can tweak the rules to make them more understandable without complely screwing things up again.

The problem with Greco is there is no incentive to go for a big move because a 1 pt takedown/lift or 2 pt gut will win a period, so why take risk in going for 5? Since one if the IOC's wishes is that freestyle and greco be easily distinguishable, maybe Greco should go back to old rules while freestyle does not?

When any set of rules, the same problem pops up... how do you force wrestlers to wrestle aggressively, without allowing the official to decide the match?

I would love for Greco to go back to old rules. I agree with everything you said the more I think about it Arm-spin.
    The big change I would love to see is team points and awarding team medals at the championships. Where wrestlers could give their country more points with dominant wins like pins.