Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling dropped

Default Re: Wrestling dropped

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I don't have much to add except to express my anger/frustration as well. And, puzzlement, in that I can't figure out a reason why the IOC would do it? The true reason will probably not be very palatable, but I can't even hypothize something that makes sense. Doug Blubaugh--can you enlighten us?
    IOC is trying to minimize the number athletes in the Olympics becasue jsut the size of the event becomes unmanageable.
    Sports with weightclasses are big targets because of the number of participants in the sport.
    They is also a heavy bias toward TV friednly events that non-sports fans can enjoy (gymnatics, rythmic gymastics, diving, synchronozed swiimmg, synchronzed diving, etc.)

The big TV contracts mean huge money to the IOC and the TV networks expect rating in returns for the billions they pay for the TV rights.

Tradition and the quality of the event take a back seat to money. Remember when amateurism was the cornerstone of the olympic philosophy?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    IOC is trying to minimize the number athletes in the Olympics becasue jsut the size of the event becomes unmanageable.
    Sports with weightclasses are big targets because of the number of participants in the sport.
    They is also a heavy bias toward TV friednly events that non-sports fans can enjoy (gymnatics, rythmic gymastics, diving, synchronozed swiimmg, synchronzed diving, etc.)

The big TV contracts mean huge money to the IOC and the TV networks expect rating in returns for the billions they pay for the TV rights.
    Thanks, ODH. I figured there had to be a reason. Whether I like the reason or not is another question. But there's always a reason somewhere.

On a random side-note, for years I've wondered why airlines at times charge MORE for one-way than they do for round-trip. It results in people booking round-trip even when they only want to go one-way. That leads to more no-shows. So why do they do it? I'm sure there's a reason, but I've never discovered it.

The outpouring from the wrestling community across the globe today has been nothing short of amazing. Twitter is nuts, I'll start posting articles as I read them, though admittedly I've already read through a bunch today.

First off Turkey chimes in.... they have won 58 of their 87 lifetime medals in wrestling and are one of the finalists to host in 2020:

OTHERS - Wrestling's removal from Olympic program shocks Turkey

Bryce Miller of the Des Moines Register weighs in, with quotes from Gable and Sanderson:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...yssey=nav|head

Everyone on Facebook should like this page, nearly 25K people have signed up today. Chock full of great interviews & articles:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-...65311480283702

ESPN Video Interview with Daniel Cormier:

IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics - ESPN

Kurt Angle doing interviews and drumming up support via TNA Wrestling - TNA IMPACT WRESTLING Raises Voice To Save Olympic Wrestling | #SaveOlympicWrestling