Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling dropped

Default Re: Wrestling dropped

This is very surprising, and very sad news. I can't believe there were not less popular sports that could have been dropped instead.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by buckvader View Post
    I can't believe that they would keep badmitten, basketball, takwando, or judo ahead of wrestling. What a bunch of garbage this is all about money. Maybe we need a fundraiser......Burroughs can collect pledges for each member of the committee he can find and blast double
    I'd pledge for that!
    I'm a quiet fan looking for a way to join forces against this BS. There must be a path to make some noise about this.
    It's just so unthinkable.

For years I have disregarded the talk about wrestling as a dying sport. I put my faith in the loyalty and passion of the wrestling fans. I mean, wrestling as a main stream sport was not likely to happen, but wrestling has been growing the past few years at the NCAA level. Then I read about the IOC dropping wrestling from the Olympics - and I am disheartened that one of the greatest and oldest sports - and one of the truest, rawest forms of competition, is no longer an Olympic sport. The most incredible thing, Doug Blubaugh predicted this years ago. He predicted that the Olympic Committee would get rid of wrestling first chance they got. Problem is, I don't remember his reasoning because I dismissed his comments.

Now, there must be something we can do to bring the sport back in 2024 and beyond. (I realize the decision isnt final yet, but it may be too late to rally for non-ratification of the vote.) I would suggest that we write the press and our politicians, but I'm not sure that would work on an international level. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Modern Pentathlon had better connections in the IOC. Not sure if it is conspiracy driven but 100% Political. At least when they dropped baseball and softball they had solid reasoning
    This is the exact reason why wrestling was dropped over the Modern Pentathalon. Its all an agenda by the IOC. The IOC is already a joke, but now there is no respect coming from my way. Short of violent action, who do we contact, who do we email, mail letters to, etc.......to make their decision and/or lives as miserable as possible?

That's pretty friggin' rediculous. Will definitely hurt participation in, and popularity of, wrestling as a sport.

I guess the silver lining might potentially be that FILA will no longer be beholden to the IOC. Maybe some of the silly parts of current-day wrestling (tie breakers, one day tournaments, unseeded brackets, "defense points in greco", limited weight classes and so on) will go away.

I don't have much to add except to express my anger/frustration as well. And, puzzlement, in that I can't figure out a reason why the IOC would do it? The true reason will probably not be very palatable, but I can't even hypothize something that makes sense. Doug Blubaugh--can you enlighten us?

Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by cornellbigred04 View Post
    For years I have disregarded the talk about wrestling as a dying sport. I put my faith in the loyalty and passion of the wrestling fans. I mean, wrestling as a main stream sport was not likely to happen, but wrestling has been growing the past few years at the NCAA level. Then I read about the IOC dropping wrestling from the Olympics - and I am disheartened that one of the greatest and oldest sports - and one of the truest, rawest forms of competition, is no longer an Olympic sport. The most incredible thing, Doug Blubaugh predicted this years ago. He predicted that the Olympic Committee would get rid of wrestling first chance they got. Problem is, I don't remember his reasoning because I dismissed his comments.

Now, there must be something we can do to bring the sport back in 2024 and beyond. (I realize the decision isnt final yet, but it may be too late to rally for non-ratification of the vote.) I would suggest that we write the press and our politicians, but I'm not sure that would work on an international level. Any suggestions?
    i ALWAYS listened to coach Blubaugh as he made a lot of sense for a good ole boy farmer . I remember the day he found out about the time length of matches being shortened and went on a curse filled tirade about kissing the Russians asses !
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

I only met Coach Blubaugh twice. Once in the Indiana wrestling room (he noticed my Ok State) and once in Gallagher-Iba where he discussed his gold medal win. His wisdom is only further validated now that such a shocking prediction has come true.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth