Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kyven Gadsen

Default Re: Kyven Gadsen

I think we need to be look at the big picture. UNI had a LONG way to go compared to ISU. Yes, KJ was dealt a bad hand but ISU has way more going for it than UNI. The difference I think between KJ and Schwab are vast. Recruiting nationally and in IA Schwab holds the upper hand. I believe this is KJ's biggest weakness in Ames as high school kids don't really know who KJ is. It isn't KJ's fault but most of these kids were not alive when he won his Olympics. ISU standards have been dampered by Clone fans to the point that they see ISU and UNI on the same level. ISU hasn't been on the same level as UNI maybe ever. Schwab has had way more to do in Cedar Falls than KJ period. Schwab needed to rebuild the team, fanbase and facilities. KJ had to try and rebuild the team only and I don't think he is getting it done. I think if Schwab and KJ traded places ISU would be in a much better position overall. I like both KJ and Schwab but Doug had more to do as HC than KJ from day 1. For gods sake how many kids just quit at UNI because they didn't like the work required under Doug?

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    For gods sake how many kids just quit at UNI because they didn't like the work required under Doug?
    I don't disagree with what you wrote, but regarding what I've quoted above and responding to, I think you're getting the impression that I don't think that Schwab is doing a good job.

Yes, I do think he's doing a good job-albeit still a bit unproven up to this point-but all that my point has been is that he's doing as good of a job (or even slightly worse based on results) than is Jackson, so why is there the call for a hatchet job for Jackson but not Schwab, even though ISU beats UNI head to head, ISU has had AAs under Jackson, and their overall record has been better than UNI's under Jackson?

Yes, this is also part of a broader philosophy of mine that is all too well known (and getting redundant, I'm sure) that sports fans are all too quick to blame everything on coaches when all is not going the way that the fans would like (even though, ironically, when a team is doing great, it's the players, not the coaches).

I just see this movement to get rid of Jackson to be very curious, premature as hell, and unfounded. It's simply too early and ISU is NOT heading down the tubes. If they are, then I shudder to think where UNI is headed!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Ban here is why people are calling for KJ.

1- Lack of development in wrestlers.
    2- Can't seem to recruit well enough nationally.
    3- Makes really poor decisions for his wrestlers and team.

ISU has had better wrestlers from a recruiting and talent point of view than UNI. People expected KJ to turn the corner with his Soph class which is arguable if he has right now. He had some good goods in that class so expectations went up. ISU was a national power when KJ took over, and we all agree he was left a mess, but this is ISU and they shouldn't be hoping for just 1 AA this year. Hell ISU may end up with only 3 qualifiers which is NOT good.

KJ hasn't seemed to pull in recruits nationally like ISU was used to under Douglas and Cael. He put all his eggs in 1 basket for a certain wrestler who ended up not coming to ISU. He should be able to recruit much better nationally as ISU was a contending program for years and years. I think this is his biggest downfall as a coach.

Not RS John Meeks was an absolute joke. I think KJ pulled the RS to try and save his job and it should cost him the job now. Meeks is a great talent and KJ just might have ruined JM career as he is completely mentally broke. Go look at ISU's qualifing #'s and you will understand why else KJ makes terrible decisions. He is going to have several wrestlers (Beard, Molina, Meeks, Finch, Mayfield ect) not even meet the match total # of 17. This is a complete joke as well and hurts his wrestlers chances of even qualifing for NCAA's. How can a coach not send kids to the UNI Open and so on knowing that your schedule doesn't leave much room for air for qualifing 17 D1 matches? ISU might be the only school in the nation that has several kids not meet the criteria. Huge mistake on KJ's part and this isn't the 1st year he has made the same mistake. Now ISU is looking for huge upsets at Conference to even have a shot at qualifing any wrestlers outside of Moreno, Gadson and Weatherman.

These are the type of things why KJ needs to go. Doug is trying to do more with less at UNI and he doesn't make the stupid mistakes KJ makes. Doug is RS kids and helping others qualify for NCAA's by making sure they wrestle enough matches and meet the criteria. It just seems obvious to me that Doug/UNI is headed up the mountain and ISU/KJ is headed down the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    He is going to have several wrestlers (Beard, Molina, Meeks, Finch, Mayfield ect) not even meet the match total # of 17. This is a complete joke as well and hurts his wrestlers chances of even qualifing for NCAA's.
    You do know that Iowa has yet to qualify 125, 149, 165, 174, and hvy?
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    You do know that Iowa has yet to qualify 125, 149, 165, 174, and hvy?
    Do some research Jammen. Those weights will all qualify with probably the gold standard. Not sure about 49 though. At Iowa State, the only three that will qualify their weights prior to the conference tournament are 65, 74 and 97. The rest will all have to either steal a spot or get wild cards.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Herk, I was just talking RPI which requires 17 Div 1 duals.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"