Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kyven Gadsen

Default Re: Kyven Gadsen

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    If you want some interesting reading related to this, do some searches from a few years back on panthernation where Penrith was saying that the facilities needed upgrading, I agreed, and you had two lone voices in the wilderness getting screamed at to, "stop making excuses," and that "the facilites are fine and just like every other school's!"

Today, it's viewed as "Schwab is getting the job done." Oh my...

Ban I know a few former UNI wrestlers and they are now donating money again to UNI wrestling. I am told from 1 of them he is giving significant amount of $ to the program now that UNI Schwab is coach. He has always donated but quit giving money during the last few season of Penrith because of the product on the mat. He said he couldn't support the program that was completely getting beat on shape and hustle. He has also told me that several of the Alumni have come together in support of the program simply because of Doug. Doug has made it a family atmosphere for them and they appreciate this very much. This person wrestled for UNI back in the 90's when Penrith wasn't the coach. I was basing my comments on what he has told me of which I respect. Doug is doing all the right things off the mat to advance UNI wrestling and it will produce great product on the mat in the future. This person has told me if you don't have the backing from Alumni it is almost impossible to get facility approvements. He says Doug is doing all the correct things to get upgraded facilities and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Ban I know a few former UNI wrestlers and they are now donating money again to UNI wrestling. I am told from 1 of them he is giving significant amount of $ to the program now that UNI Schwab is coach. He has always donated but quit giving money during the last few season of Penrith because of the product on the mat. He said he couldn't support the program that was completely getting beat on shape and hustle. He has also told me that several of the Alumni have come together in support of the program simply because of Doug. Doug has made it a family atmosphere for them and they appreciate this very much. This person wrestled for UNI back in the 90's when Penrith wasn't the coach. I was basing my comments on what he has told me of which I respect. Doug is doing all the right things off the mat to advance UNI wrestling and it will produce great product on the mat in the future. This person has told me if you don't have the backing from Alumni it is almost impossible to get facility approvements. He says Doug is doing all the correct things to get upgraded facilities and support.
    Oh, I know; I've been involved with it all for 20 years, and I've even likely debated with the folks that you mention, as the stories of people pulling allegiance to the team were very common in the last 2-3 years of the Penrith era.

All my point has ever been is that I roll with what I have; they're still my team, regardless of coach. I couldn't possibly pull my allegiance for my favorite team that I support emotionally and financially simply because of a temper tantrum over not having the coach that I would like. How do you suddenly say, "I don't like that team anymore?" or "Now, I like that team again!" Those are the most foreign concepts to my lame brain, for sure, but they rule the day at UNI now (aside from us 200 or so hardcores).

As I also like to remind folks as well: the pulling of allegiance doesn't hurt the coach near as much as it hurts the WRESTLERS, the guys who put everything into their sport, only to find empty stands because of a whole bunch of people who jump off of a bandwagon over a temper tantrum. That is the REAL sorrow that I had, and I KNOW that Moza Fay was one who was really teed off by it, and he should have been. Obviously, I still am, and why this whole bandwagon deal sickens me.

Through thick and thin, with any coach, that's my motto as a UNI fan!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

I personally think Schwab is doing a good job but I would hesitate to use the word great. It is too early to judge him fully, because he does need time to build his program and get people excited about wrestling at UNI, but if in 5 years he is at the same place he is now I don't want to hear anyone gushing his praises. There is still work to do and at this point his grade is an incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I personally think Schwab is doing a good job but I would hesitate to use the word great. It is too early to judge him fully, because he does need time to build his program and get people excited about wrestling at UNI, but if in 5 years he is at the same place he is now I don't want to hear anyone gushing his praises. There is still work to do and at this point his grade is an incomplete.
    And, this is what got this discussion going in this direction: it's still too early to judge Jackson as well. He and Schwab started at the same time, and just by judging results, Jackson is leading that contest at this point.

I drafted him in fantasy but he couldn't get in the line-up early with injuries so I stupidly let him go.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Gofer--where ya been?

I agree with you ban. KJ has done some things I don't agree with and some of that might have to do with not being a college coach. I think (and I don't know the details) that he should have done more to keep Dalton Jensen and Tyler Clark around. I think he needed to keep more low key on recruits such as Bo Schlosser. I feel he is learning from his mistakes and doing a better job and his team next year will no longer be young and inexperienced.

I think many UNI fans thought UNI was going to be a lot better than they are this year. Heard alot of hype for Krumweide, Caldwell, Jensen, and Hiatt. Just hasn't happened. They are young and I think UNI will get better, they are about where Iowa State was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I agree with you ban. KJ has done some things I don't agree with and some of that might have to do with not being a college coach. I think (and I don't know the details) that he should have done more to keep Dalton Jensen and Tyler Clark around. I think he needed to keep more low key on recruits such as Bo Schlosser. I feel he is learning from his mistakes and doing a better job and his team next year will no longer be young and inexperienced.

I think many UNI fans thought UNI was going to be a lot better than they are this year. Heard alot of hype for Krumweide, Caldwell, Jensen, and Hiatt. Just hasn't happened. They are young and I think UNI will get better, they are about where Iowa State was last year.
    Agreed. Of the hyped wrestlers that you mentioned-and I must admit, HYPE is about all that we've gotten out of them!-Hiatt could have been very promising, but he's out for the season with shoulder surgery. He had good results from what little that he did wrestle this year, with his annihilation of Grajales being tops on the list.

I agree that Hiatt looked like he was going to be the most promising. Injuries can change a team like Iowa State and UNI in a hurry. We dealt with Simonson, then Sorenson and Spangler 2 years in a row. It really change the additude with Iowa State wrestling.

I think UNI will be alot better, but it will probably take a couple years to make the big jump.