Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: # 4 Iowa Hawkeyes vs. # 3 Minnesota Golden Gophers: Discussion, Predictions, and Results

Default Re: # 4 Iowa Hawkeyes vs. # 3 Minnesota Golden Gophers: Discussion, Predictions, and Results

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I will defer to the experts(Zapp and JensenS), but could it have less to do with Yohn sucking and more to do with Nick Moore having zero regard for human life?
    Yohn just looked disinterested...

Not to take anything away from Moore because he wrestled well but Yohn looked like he could have just taken or left things last night.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: # 4 Iowa Hawkeyes vs. # 3 Minnesota Golden Gophers: Discussion, Predictions, and Results

I've watched three NCAA dual meets ever, including this one. My thoughts...

Yohn looks awful. I watched the Illinois (I think) dual and he didn't look good either. Isn't this guy supposed to be a tough defensive wrestler? Maybe he is cutting a ton of weight, or broke up with his girlfriend, or something.

Both duals I watched, Storely got taken down late in the second, had the call overtuned, and then came back to score quickly. Storely is a blast to watch!

Riding... especially heavyweight riding... is so boring to watch. Seriously, my wife was sitting there yelling "boring", and she'll watch greco.

It just doesn't seem right that having someone on his feet and one hand is taken down (like in the 197 lb) match while someone thrown feet-to-back doesn't give up any (125 lbs).

Finally, everyone watch the Yarygin tournament videos on the international forum! There's a ton of upsets, plus Metcalf getting thrown around!

End of mini-hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Yohn just looked disinterested...

Not to take anything away from Moore because he wrestled well but Yohn looked like he could have just taken or left things last night.
    I'm with you Shane. I feel sorry for Yohn. Tons of potential coming out of H.S. Brother is a 3x AA.......and he is not as successful as he was as a freshman. He's the one guy on the Minny team that i expect to lose. If he wins, great; but I dont' expect it. He's the only senior on the team which probably makes it even tougher for him. He looks like a man going to an execution.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

My guess is Yohn's cutting too much weight or not cutting right. They showed him sitting down during some of the earlier matches and his cheeks looked sunken in, bags under his eyes, etc. He just doesn't look healthy.

Yohn's weight struggles are well known. Last year at NCAA's he looked terrible; gaunt hollow cheeks with sunken eye sockets. As a freshman he was a 174 lber and wrestled one match at 184. Like Sonny it was expected that he'd move up a weight.

Then Glasser got hurt and no longer could make 165 leaving Minny without a backup. Gopher fans were happy when Cody was asked to make the cut. "Opened season at 174 and went 16-6". "Ended the season at 165, posting a 7-10 mark".

The weight struggles are compounded by what I believe is an anxiety issue. His nerves get worse as the pressure to perform grows. In big matches he looks horrible, but as soon as the pressure is off and everyone predicts that he'll get crushed then he suddenly wrestles well.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Didn't yohn beat Evans in the most crucial dual of the year last year ? Yohn looks whipped before he steps onto the mat.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Didn't yohn beat Evans in the most crucial dual of the year last year ? Yohn looks whipped before he steps onto the mat.
    Evans pinned Yohn in the IA-MN dual and then bragged about breaking him. later at the Nat'l Duals when everyone had written Cody off he upset Evans in SV.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"