Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nebraska vs Penn St Predictions

Default Nebraska vs Penn St Predictions

I don't think the overall matchup is in doubt, but there should be some stellar individual matches. I am operating under the assumption that the Altons will be competing. Here are my predictions (guesses):

125: Megaludis TF Coufal 5-0 PSU A fall wouldn't shock me here.
    133: Conaway Dec Nagel 8-0 PSU Conaway needs to win these to improve his chances of a good seed at B1G's and qualifying for NCAA's.
    141: Kiley Dec Pearsall 8-3 PSU Should be close, but I just don't see Pearsall winning it.
    149: Alton Dec Sueflohn 11-3 PSU Toss-up, but I think Alton will shake off the rust.
    157: Green Dec Alton 11-6 PSU Toss-up, but I don't think Alton will shake off the rust. These two had VERY close matches last year.
    165: Taylor TF Koehn 15-6 PSU Good luck Mr. Koehn
    174: Kokesh Dec Brown 15-9 PSU Probably the match of the night, I expect Brown will keep it close, but I don't see him winning this one.
    184: Ruth MDec Ihnen 19-9 PSU Ihnen hasn't been majored since the 09-10 season (according to d1wrestling), but I think Ruth is that good.
    197: Wright Dec Kolb 22-9 PSU Kolb has been wrestling pretty tough of late, so he should keep this close. Or he could get pinned by some move that none of us have ever seen before.
    285: Ging Dec Johnson 25-9 PSU Gingrich will probably grind out a 3-1, or if they are feeling especially peppy, 5-3 victory.

What's your prediction?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Nebraska vs Penn St Predictions

No guarantee the Altons will be back since English and Volrath are also listed on the preliminary bout sheet from Penn State Athletics. It's the same line up PSU posted for the Wiscy dual - Alton and English vs. ....., Alton and Volrath vs. ......

I'll hazard a guess Sanderson will have them back as prep for UI on the 4th if he thinks he needs them for that dual, otherwise if Volrath and English go against the Huskers, they will also go against Iowa.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Sanderson made some comments earlier in the week, that revealed absolutely nothing, and I wouldn't be shocked to see English and Vollrath out there either.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsie1983 View Post
    197: Wright dec kolb 22-9 psu kolb has been wrestling pretty tough of late, so he should keep this close. Or he could get pinned by some move that none of us have seen since we were in high school.
    ftfy
    Last edited by Gantry; 01-23-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Burnsie--My picks are pretty close to yours. Of course the big question is whether the Altons wrestle or not. I see 5 weights as potentially going either way: 133, 141, 149, 157 and 174. I think it's reasonable to give 3 of those to Nebraska, but it could be anywhere to all 5 for PSU to all 5 for Nebraska. One thing. Even if Vollrath wrestles, I think he has a shot at Green. Green is very tough and I definitely would look for him to go up early. But Vollrath is a fighter and in good condition, while Green's conditioning hasn't been the greatest. Vollrath could pull it out like Conaway pulled it out against Graff. Still of the 5 I agree--I'd pick PSU at 133 and 149 (IF A Alton wrestles; otherwise I would pick Sueflohn over English); and Nebraska at 141, 157, 174.

The other 5 weights I don't see Nebraska having much of a shot (except possibly an outside shot at Hwt)

Burnsie, I like your picks except I think I would have to give the not to Sueflown. There's some homer in that pick, but given the possible rust issue I give the nod to Sueflown in a close one.

[QUOTE=burnsie1983;506732] 197: Wright Dec Kolb 22-9 PSU Kolb has been wrestling pretty tough of late, so he should keep this close. Or he could get pinned by some move that none of us have ever seen before.
    QUOTE]

Lol... so true. Love watching Q wrestle.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    Burnsie, I like your picks except I think I would have to give the not to Sueflown. There's some homer in that pick, but given the possible rust issue I give the nod to Sueflown in a close one.
    I know they haven't wrestled duals, but they have competed in 2 opens during the suspension, and I think they have been practicing in the room, although I'm not 100 percent sure of that.

I think Brown beats Kokesh. Kokesh struggled with Evans last year in large part due to Evans physical style. Brown isn't the hammer on top Evans can be, but he wrestles a very physical, brutal style from neutral. Brown DEC Kokesh.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...