Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota v. Illinois

Default Re: Minnesota v. Illinois

Granted, it isn't the NCAA tournament, but I worked one of the tables at the UNI Open this year and saw Ervin wrestle up close and personal. I was really impressed with him then and expected to see good things from him in the future.

His "stuff" that he was pulling on top wasn't a fluke; he did it all day long at the UNI Open too, eventually placing third.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

The Ness thing is concerning just because with a back injury, who knows when you're really back. But I think the other Minny guys may have been looking ahead to Iowa/training thru this meet to set up for Iowa, so that's why they were a little flat. Not that the match against Illinois wasn't important, but the Minnesota-Iowa rivalry is among the most heated in the country, and I'm sure it's been a focal point for J (get well soon) and the staff.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

How do we know Ness had a back injury? That wasnt what I had gathered about his time away.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Kinda had to be impressed that Minny dug deep and came away with the win. Minny looked whipped going into the break .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    How do we know Ness had a back injury? That wasnt what I had gathered about his time away.
    All the things I've heard, mostly from Minny posters, was the the reason Ness was out for most of the beginning of the year was a back injury. I suppose they could have been wrong/lying, but what have you heard?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I think Caleb deserves the credit. Ness was simply beat by the better wrestler last night. I have been saying since day 1 that if someone actually shoots and finishes around the ankles on Ness he doesn't stand a chance. Caleb proved me right last night because he didn't allow Ness to use his hips and scramble ability to score points.
    There's a first time for everything so I guess I will agree with Chop for once. I deleted the rest of his post as he got carried away.

If Ness gets healthy (big if) he will make the adjustments and be in the title hunt once again. You may remember that he defended his legs in St Louis.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

#4 Minnesota 18, #5 Illinois 14
    125: #4 Jesse Delgado (ILL) dec. #12 David Thorn (MINN), 6-3 (3-0)
    133: #11 Daryl Thomas (ILL) major dec. #6 Chris Dardanes (MINN), 17-8 (7-0)
    141: #10 Nick Dardanes (MINN) dec. Logan Arlis (ILL), 10-3 (7-3)
    149: Caleb Ervin (ILL) major dec. #7 Dylan Ness (MINN), 11-3 (11-3)
    157: Danny Zilverberg (MINN) dec. Matt Nora (ILL), 7-2 (11-6)
    165: #7 Conrad Polz (ILL) dec. #16 Cody Yohn (ILL), 7-4 (14-6)
    174: #2 Logan Storley (MINN) dec. #4 Jordan Blanton (ILL), 6-5 (14-9)
    184: #5 Kevin Steinhaus (MINN) dec. #11 Tony Dallago (ILL), 10-3 (14-12)
    194: #12 Scott Schiller (MINN) dec. #5 Mario Gonzalez (ILL), 4-2 (14-15)
    HWT: #2 Tony Nelson (HWT) dec. Chris Lopez (ILL), 10-3 (14-18)

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I have been saying since day 1 that if someone actually shoots and finishes around the ankles on Ness he doesn't stand a chance. Caleb proved me right last night because he didn't allow Ness to use his hips and scamble ability to score points.
    Good ankle shots, with quick finishes, will do that to anyone though. With ankle picks, specifically, that hit, I'm not sure that I've ever thought of or seen a defense that can stop that.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    All the things I've heard, mostly from Minny posters, was the the reason Ness was out for most of the beginning of the year was a back injury. I suppose they could have been wrong/lying, but what have you heard?
    Check your PM.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.