View Poll Results: Who wins the 2013 Hodge trophy?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kyle Dake

15 42.86%
  • Ed Ruth

9 25.71%
  • Jordan Oliver

5 14.29%
  • Dustin Kilgore

1 2.86%
  • Matt McDonough

1 2.86%
  • Other (tell us who).

4 11.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who wins this years hodge?

Default Re: Who wins this years hodge?

I like Ruth with Oliver second if they keep going at the rate that they are now.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

1. If Dake wins he will win the hodge (I have my doubts he wins)
    2. If Ruth keeps doing what he is doing he will win if Taylor beats Dake (tough weight)
    3. Oliver will be top 3 no matter what because he is going to win his weight and win it convincingly
    4. If something weird happens and he can beat Ramos several more times in a row Stieber will win
    5. Nobody else really has a shot

Ruth and Oliver seem to be the most likely candidates to me because there is a real chance that Dake loses. I voted for Oliver

I'm kind of torn between the dominance aspect and the overall career part. If Dake beats Taylor for a 3rd time, it's hard not to give it to him. To beat someone of Taylor's caliber 3x in one year would be phenomenal. But still, he doesn't meet the dominance criteria. So, you would have to give it to him by emphasizing a career effort over dominance. If DT wins (which I'm predicting) I would go with Ruth.

It has to go to Dake, IF he beats Taylor in Dake/Taylor III. Anyone who beats David Taylor three times in the same season deserves the Hodge and free unicorn rides for life. If Dake falters then Ruth or Oliver, whoever has the better tournament.

If Kyle Dake wins a 4th Ncaa title at 4 different weights and without a redshirt/grayshirt, I don't care if he didn't pin a single guy, the guy deserves to Hodge.

This has been discussed before, but the Hodge trophy has set criteria on how the trophy is awarded. The trophy is awarded based on seven criteria in order of importance: 1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

So it is not like the Heisman, which is awarded to who the voters think is the best college player in the country. I suspect Jordan Olier might be the best cnadidate among the elite right now as I think he has the most pins.

Steiber, nobody is going to come close to him. But he has to get healthy...

Kilgore: 27-0, 15 pins, 2 techs, 6 majors, 4 decisions.
    I shoot, I score. He shoots, I score
    -Dan Gable

Quote Originally Posted by GAGE View Post
    Kilgore: 27-0, 15 pins, 2 techs, 6 majors, 4 decisions.
    Geez, 27 matches already? That's borderline ridiculous. College Scorebook has him with 24 wins and 10 pins, not 15.

Ruth
    16-0, 6 pins, 2 TF, 5 majors, 3 decisions. The decisions coming against the current #3, 4, and 7 at his weight.

Kilgore's decisions came against # 2, 4, 14, and 14 at his weight.

I'd consider them very similar, with Kilgore getting to beat up on more weaker guys via the extra tournaments he has gone to so far.
    Last edited by BlueBloodLion; 01-16-2013 at 08:10 PM.