Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance Enhancing Drugs and Wrestling

Default Performance Enhancing Drugs and Wrestling

I'm reading the book "The Secret Race" by Tyler Hamilton and it is clear that unless you were juicing you just couldn't compete. I never hear anything about PED's in wrestling. Anybody have any knowledge on the subject? Did guys ever do it? Competing myself I never once ever heard it discussed, rumored, nothing. There must not be an advantage or maybe I was just too busy cutting weight to pay attention.

Default Re: Performance Enhancing Drugs and Wrestling

Seems like it happens at the international level, someone lost their bronze this year. And slay going from silver to gold after a failed drug test.

I wrestled in the late 70's and early 80's in PA and I never heard anything about it. No rumors, no anything.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Too my knowledge there aren't a lot of performance enhancers which would help wrestlers. The worst you could catch somebody doing is maybe breaking weight cutting rules
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

I have friends that have taken steroids and I think they would be highly beneficial for wrestlers. They do more than just make you strong. My one friends was 6'1'' weighing 260 pounds and could dunk a basketball flat footed. When he got off the sauce he could dunk on a good day, while being 30 pounds lighter. They help make you a more explosive athlete which would be extremely beneficial for wrestlers.

Steroids would help you if you are moving up a weight class, for sure... for example, all those Russian stars who moved up from 84 to full sized 96 kg in recent years (I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but that's the kind of situation you could see someone chosing to use steroids in).

There has been a small but steady number of international stars to test positive for PED's. Usually they go through a suspension and then return to competition. Off the top of my head, the following world medallists have had a positive test: Dogan, Jadidi, Purveytaar, Leipold, Ganev, Lebedev, Tigiev (though Leipold's may have been tampered with and Tigiev's looks like inadvertent use).

In Canada we had Dante Berlingeri test positive a few years back (went up from 84 to 96) and Colin Daynes tested positive at this year's Olympic trials, forfeiting his greco team spot.

I'm not aware of any American wrestlers that have tested positive for steroids per say, though some (Warren, Lee) have tested positive for marijuana, and I think Eric Larkin got in trouble for using the wrong kind of cough medicine.

When I wrestled in the 60's I was totally unaware of any performance enhancing drugs - all the drugs then were of the mind expanding variety. I know that today even some high school kids take steroids, but I don't know how widespread it is.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Steroids most definitely CAN help a wrestler, one of the biggest problem is the cost. Steroids are not cheap and wrestlers are not known for raking in the dough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Steroids most definitely CAN help a wrestler, one of the biggest problems is the cost.
    I hope you meant that the biggest difficulty in obtaining them is the cost. The biggest problem is kids taking them at all. Some parents will stop at nothing to make their kids winners, and the price of drugs won't prevent them from being used.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.