Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Dake vs Taylor II

Default Re: Dake vs Taylor II

Quote Originally Posted by dback_5 View Post

In my opinion, moving 4 weights is more impressive than staying at the same weight. Just my opinion, but like others have mentioned, it has never been done before. In the high school arena, Jay Borshel won titles at 103, 125, 152, and 171. Those are huge jumps in weight, and out of all the 4 timers in Iowa I think that is the most impressive feat.
    I am always more impressed with freshman who win their title at an upper weight class where they are beating essentially fully matured men as a 9th grader. Maybe what is impressive about people jumping weight classes is their disregard for cutting weight and showing that they are skilled enough to beat bigger wrestlers with a strength disadvantage.
    Taylor always seems to have been a wrestler who does not cut weight, while until this year I was under the impression the Dake always was pulling a lot of weight.
    Last edited by ODH; 12-20-2012 at 04:39 PM.

I agree, I always just assumed that Dake was always cutting quite a bit too. Probably because he just seems big at whatever weight he is at, but that may or may not be the case. Either way, he is a great wrestler. Whether he is considered the best of all time or not is really irrelevant. He will be a 4 timer if he wins it this year, and that puts in him very exclusive company right there alone.

[QUOTE=ODH;501133]Becuase most wrestler have stop growing by the time they reach college.
    I still think Cael 4 year undefeated, 4 outstanding wrestler awards is more impressive than Dake's possbile four at four weight classes and Cael was more dominant than Dake is.

I know I will get blasted for this but Cael did lose while he was in College. To this day it amazes me that the NCAA doesn't count open events towards your record. Again this is my opinion but if why the hell do they keep score if it doesn't count? I would bet if Paul Jenn were still alive he would tell people "I beat Cael Sanderson while both of us were in college." I know if I beat Cael when he was in College I would count that as a win in my mind.

[QUOTE=Chop;501178]
    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Becuase most wrestler have stop growing by the time they reach college.
    I still think Cael 4 year undefeated, 4 outstanding wrestler awards is more impressive than Dake's possbile four at four weight classes and Cael was more dominant than Dake is.

I know I will get blasted for this but Cael did lose while he was in College. To this day it amazes me that the NCAA doesn't count open events towards your record. Again this is my opinion but if why the hell do they keep score if it doesn't count? I would bet if Paul Jenn were still alive he would tell people "I beat Cael Sanderson while both of us were in college." I know if I beat Cael when he was in College I would count that as a win in my mind.
    Preparations are different when you know you're redshirting.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

[QUOTE=Chop;501178]
    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Becuase most wrestler have stop growing by the time they reach college.

No blasting, but just the fact, Cael was in college when he lost but he was redshirting, so it does not count against his NCAA record, just like your wins and pins as a RS don't count because you are wrestling as an independent.
    Paul Jenn beat him, but in his four years wrestling for Iowa State varsity Cael was an undefeated NCAA wrestler (and the best of all time)

Fact is he lost while enrolled at ISU which means to me he lost in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Fact is he lost while enrolled at ISU which means to me he lost in college.
    So youd be more impressed if he had just trained all rs year and not compete, then wait for varsity competition?

You compete 4 years in college. He never lost then.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Cael was undefeated. This topic comes up way too often

Come on now, lets get serious. THere's a reason the redshirt exists. Cael Sanderson was undefeated.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...