Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dake vs Taylor II

Default Re: Dake vs Taylor II

Like I predicted last time I take Dake. The both are obviously 2 of the best in the country but in my opinion Dake is a better all around wrestler than Taylor. Dake is better than Taylor on his feet. The reason is because Dake has unreal hips and scramble ability. DT is really good on his feet but Dake simply doesn't give up td's to anyone. I can't remember the last time he was td. If I recall correctly he has never been td in any finals match so far. I say it is a draw from the top position but where it shows is Dake is better from bottom than Taylor. If Dake needs to ride for 30 secs he can and will do it against anyone in the country. I also think if he needs an escape he can and will get it. Both will be in better shape than last time but I think that is to Dake's advantage. Dake may go down as the best wrestler of all time if he can put #4 in the bank this year. Just unreal to win it 4x at 4 weights.

I said this before, but winning a championship at four different weights is no more impressive than winning it four times at the same weight class.. If Dake wins the most impressive part will be beating a returning champ and Hodge winner for title number 4.

As far as their next match, i predict it will look like their past one, no takedowns and decided in OT with a ride out. both of them are so good at both top and bottom it is a coin flip.

I could see Taylor getting frustrated at he inability to takedown Dake and asking a mistake. Dake seems too disciplined to let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I said this before, but winning a championship at four different weights is no more impressive than winning it four times at the same weight class.. If Dake wins the most impressive part will be beating a returning champ and Hodge winner for title number 4.
    Exactly, weights are not static, wrestlers move up and down and they are usually fairly different every year.

As Taylor's coach I would say... concentrate on your strengths. Movement, movement, movement! It's easy to overthing a match like this insead of just wrestling to your own strength. Kind of like the first Burroughs/Tsargush match- Burroughs didn't wait to play Tsargush's defensive, grinding game, he went right after him, scored the takedowns and won the match.

Then again, Burroughs is a freak of nature, and what do I really know?

Of course winning titles at 4 separate weights aren't impressive. That's why guys do it all the time. It's amazing people trying to downplay this. Dake was the first to ever win titles at THREE weights, now he's attempting it at 4. It's not like wrestling is a young sport, either. It's pretty damned impressive.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Ok,
    Clarify specifically why winning 4 at different weights is better/harder than 4 at the same (or 2) weights.

My view is that you beat the people in your weight at any given year, you are not wrestling all four weights each year. The 4 weights-thing is much more related to people not changing weight that much in college, not that it is harder.

As a preview, "because it has not been done" is not an answer.

Because wrestling is a sport that separates it's competitors by weight because it would be unfair to make smaller people wrestle larger people, and Dake keeps going up and winning. The same reason why some of the most impressive pieces on professional boxers and MMA fighter resumes is if they win titles at multiple weight classes.

You can't participate in a sport where weight classes are an important part of the structure and discount people moving up and continuing to succeed.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Because wrestling is a sport that separates it's competitors by weight because it would be unfair to make smaller people wrestle larger people, and Dake keeps going up and winning. The same reason why some of the most impressive pieces on professional boxers and MMA fighter resumes is if they win titles at multiple weight classes.

You can't participate in a sport where weight classes are an important part of the structure and discount people moving up and continuing to succeed.
    Your argument would hold some merit had Dake weighed at 141 all years and still won. The fact is he has been enormous at each weight. Including this year. Its a very unique thing, but it is no more/less impressive than if he stayed at 141 each year. Just because something is rare doesnt necessarily make it more/less difficult. Its hard to find humans who can legit put on 25 pounds of pure muscle like Dake has. His growing accomplishment speaks more to how he builds his body than anything. His 4 titles will speak to how great he is.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Youre basically suggesting that the higher weight you wrestle, the more difficult it becomes. By that logic every heavyweight is the best wrestler for wrestling the highest possible weight. We all know thats not the case though.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.