Thread: Spider - dental question

Default Spider - dental question

We recently had two separate incidents where a young gentleman in the care of the state said something to another young gentleman that was taken as offensive. In both cases, the aggrieved party demonstrated his aggrevation by striking the offender in the mouth with a closed fist. In both cases, the stricken party lost the four top-front teeth.
    Since both of the toothless wonders are headed for prison when they turn 18, it was suggested by many that this modification may, in fact, make them more popular in their future setting. Nontheless, the State of California has seen fit to remove what what left of the damaged teeth and, after a period of healing and contemplation, given each of them a partial plate replacing the missing teeth.
    Since I, as a California taxpayer, am paying for this work, I was curious as to the approximate cost. Recognizing that things differ in locale and that I have given you almost no information to work with - can you give me a guesstimate on what this would run?

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Default Re: Spider - dental question

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    We recently had two separate incidents where a young gentleman in the care of the state said something to another young gentleman that was taken as offensive. In both cases, the aggrieved party demonstrated his aggrevation by striking the offender in the mouth with a closed fist. In both cases, the stricken party lost the four top-front teeth.
    Since both of the toothless wonders are headed for prison when they turn 18, it was suggested by many that this modification may, in fact, make them more popular in their future setting. Nontheless, the State of California has seen fit to remove what what left of the damaged teeth and, after a period of healing and contemplation, given each of them a partial plate replacing the missing teeth.
    Since I, as a California taxpayer, am paying for this work, I was curious as to the approximate cost. Recognizing that things differ in locale and that I have given you almost no information to work with - can you give me a guesstimate on what this would run?
    Sure. To extract the roots of the four broken teeth would probably run about $500. The price of a removable partial denture would depend on what kind of partial denture was made. The cheapest would be an all plastic "flipper" that just fits over the palate with the false teeth in the front, and maybe some wrought wire clasps to help hold it in place. This may run about $500 more or less. The best removable appliance would be a partial denture with a cast metal base and clasps, which would run about $1800 or so. There are, of course, much better and more expensive options, but these would suffice.

It should be noted that the appropriate type of restoration would depend on the condition and location of the remaining teeth. If they are in terrible condition (not likely with these gentlemen), the best long term choice might be extraction of all remaining teeth and a full denture. The full denture would cost approximately the same as the cast base partial.
    Last edited by Spider; 12-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Thank you. I believe these gentlemen were fitted with the plastic devices - although there was some metal involved (the wire clasps?). One of them failed to attend properly to the initial lesson in deportment. His second lesson - while wearing the appliance, resulted in much damage to the interior of his mouth. It also required the replacement of the equipment. His inability to learn from his experiences may be a factor in his current (and near future) housing situation.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

His new winning smile wasn't enough to calm the situation?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.