Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Southern Scuffle: Predictions, Results, Discussion

Default Re: 2013 Southern Scuffle: Predictions, Results, Discussion

with Taylor, I havent seen such an offensive machine since Gable(even the match he lost, he put up 11 points). Oliver seems to vary from match to match. Sometimes he seems to coast; DT doesn't coast. Dake is the inpenatrable wall.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    with Taylor, I havent seen such an offensive machine since Gable(even the match he lost, he put up 11 points).
    What about his coach? I'm not sure there's ever been an offensive machine like that, but I could be wrong. I haven't compared the numbers, but I would guess that Sanderson has outscored Taylor, at this point, in their careers.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Yeah, I mean...just in the last 12 years or so we've seen Sanderson, Askren, and Metcalf as dominant wrestlers who put up tons of points. Not only that, but then you have Gable's proteges, the two Brands boys. Lots of offensive machines that we've seen that were just as good as Taylor is now.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Wednesday (Jan. 2)
    9 a.m. - 4th Round Consolation
    11 a.m. - Semifinals & Consolation Quarterfinals
    1 p.m. - Consolation Semifinals
    6 p.m. - Finals & Medal Matches

Brackets
    2013_Southern_Scuffle

Semis
    Nico vs Garrett
    Snyder vs Martinez

Dardanes vs DiCamillo
    Morrison vs McCormick

Nevinger vs Dardanes
    Mecate vs Khishignya

Oliver vs Villalonga
    Von Ohlen vs Ness

Dieringer vs Vollrath
    Bradley vs Moore

Dake vs Sulzer
    Taylor vs Caldwell

Perry vs Stauffer
    Brown vs Storley

Ruth vs Larson
    Steinhouse vs Bosak

Wright vs Schiller
    Wellington vs Meredith

Nelson vs Gwiazdowsk
    Gelogaev vs Bradley

TOTAL
    MN 7
    PSU & OSU 6
    Cornell 5
    Missouri & VA 4
    Air Force & ASU 2
    ODU Citadel Ohio NC St 1

Consis Round of 8
    Thorn (lost the quarters)

Gulibon vs Festejo
    Grey vs Rasche
    Thome vs Martinez
    Conaway vs Watson

Feikert vs Wilson
    Pearsall vs Lavalle
    Beitz vs Pavlou
    Hanafee vs Rauenzahn

Houdashelt vs Tao
    Frey vs Belanger
    Dunphy vs English
    Walraven vs Gantt

Zilverberg

Toal vs Fischer
    Hancock vs Hightower
    Strickland vs Jones
    Yohn vs Mergen

Frascella done (1-2)
    Peppleman

Chionuma

Haynes
    Rosholt DNW

Ruggear done (2-2)
    Lawson vs Miller
    Gingrich vs Johnson
    Chirino vs Delaney
    Malone vs Cooper

Penn State has six wrestlers in Wednesday morning’s championship semifinals (11 a.m.) at UTC McKenzie Arena and holds an eight point lead – 102-94 – over second place Minnesota. Oklahoma State is in third place at 89.5 points and six semifinalists, followed by Cornell (84.5 pts. with 5), and Missouri (75 pts. with 7) to round out the top five in the 25-team field. Host Chattanooga is in the 13th place with 25 points and four wrestlers still alive in the consolations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Yeah, I mean...just in the last 12 years or so we've seen Sanderson, Askren, and Metcalf as dominant wrestlers who put up tons of points. Not only that, but then you have Gable's proteges, the two Brands boys. Lots of offensive machines that we've seen that were just as good as Taylor is now.
    74 wins for Taylor.
    68 by bonus.
    No win closer than 3 points.
    1 official loss, 1 exhibition loss to a legend.

Metcalf I know was not as dominant from a bonus point perspective, and I'd be interested to see Askren's first 2.5 years which definitely featured more losses, and I doubt as dominant.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    It's an interesting argument, and you'd have to throw Taylor in there as well. One of the ways I evaluate wrestlers is there ability to finish when they are in pretty deep. Whenever Oliver or Taylor is in deep you know it's pretty much over, and it usually looks pretty easy because they are perfectly positioned. They aren't supporting the other wrestler's weight, they have the proper angle, etc. From the bottom, they get hand control and just walk away from the top wrestler. All in all, they make things look easy.

It's hard to argue against Dake because of the fact that he's won three titles and may be on his way to a fourth. I think Dake is superior to Oliver and Taylor from a defensive perspective but not from an offensive perspective.
    Oliver is a better turner than Dake, and he's better offensively than Dake. Dake is better defensively and stronger. He may be better at riding guys than Oliver, who knows.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I can't wait to see how Gwiaz does against Nelson. Gwiaz has absolutely destroyed all comers so far. I would definitely favor Nelson (that whole defending national champ thing) but I think Gwiaz could really test him.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

What time are the finals tonight? I need to know what time to get up
    Gold is an idiot.