Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PSU Coaching vacancy drawing interest

Default Re: PSU Coaching vacancy drawing interest

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Chertow definitely would be a great recruiter. He's personable, runs a great business (which coaching should be) and has the ability to draw from a deep talent pool for assistants that he has coached. I think he'd be a solid choice. I'd think he would be one of, if not the best recruiters out there. (Though, I could see some NCAA rules violations by being too proactive trying to get recruits!)
    Out of those that actually know him and have worked with him, for every 1 wrestler/coach that supports Ken, there are at least 2 that despise him.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

You are also underestimating the time that goes into planning his camps. It's a year round thing. And he not only has his summer camps but the weekend camps in the fall and the weekend training at his "home compound." One of the big points he always markets with his camps is how heavily he is involved with planning all the details. If he's coaching full time, there is no way his camps will continue on as they have.

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Penn State also had to slap his wrists several times for trying to promote his camps by putting out brochures at their home matches. He also was left off the TV commentating crew one season because he talked about his camps too much. They brought him back (and this was for the Fox broadcasts, back in the days before the Big 10 network) on the condition he was not allowed to promote his camps during the broadcasts.

Anything involving the Penn State camps would have to be totally separated from his own camps. And I don't see how he would promote the Penn State camps at the expense of his own.

How about if Penn State changed their camp name to Ken Chertow's Penn State University Camps and he simply expanded his brand to include the PSU camps? It'd give them his camp name recognition and the 'bulk discount' of having a pre-planned camp staff already there.

I'm sure he does a lot of the camp planning on his own right now, but he could hire someone to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    How about if Penn State changed their camp name to Ken Chertow's Penn State University Camps and he simply expanded his brand to include the PSU camps? It'd give them his camp name recognition and the 'bulk discount' of having a pre-planned camp staff already there.

I'm sure he does a lot of the camp planning on his own right now, but he could hire someone to do that...
    Penn State isn't going to change their camp name -- as mentioned, their sports camps are "owned" by the school.

He does have a "staff" that helps plan camps, but the man likes to have control over every detail. And as I mentioned, he also uses that as a big selling point when talking about why he believes his camps are better than everyone elses -- because he's so involved.

1. the guy hasn't coached at a college in 20 years

Yeah, but he does have 20 years worth of wrestling resources, including many elite young prospects.

Ok, he is still an unproven commodity in D1 coaching and recruiting. He won't be able to spam people a million times in order to get them to go to PSU.

2. He has never been a head coach at a College (maybe not even a HS)

He has, however, successfully managed a company, and running a wrestling team should be run like a business.

Still many aspects of College coaching and University life he hasn't been exposed to in years

3. He left a coaching position at PSU during the middle of the season.

No defense there... lol.

Rightfully So,

Don't you think the folks at PSU remember that?

4. What he's making from his camps and TV stuff be matched at PSU?

He is no different than J Robinson in this respect. He will still have his camps- and they would likely grow as a result of his position.

If PSU "owns" the camp. Are their NCAA rules regarding Camps?(asking the question) vs. The Ken Chertow Camps

5. Throwing his name in the ring only further bolsters his self-promotion

"Yes, sure, but not as much as being the coach."

How So?

"Do I think he get the gig? No idea... I'd take your word for it before I made my own guess. Do I think he is qualified? Probably.. and he might even steal some good recruits from the Hawks."

RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Ok, he is still an unproven commodity in D1 coaching and recruiting. He won't be able to spam people a million times in order to get them to go to PSU.

NCAA rules would limit him to 1 spam per week.

Still many aspects of College coaching and University life he hasn't been exposed to in years

Definitely. A good assistant would do wonders to fix that issue.

Don't you think the folks at PSU remember that?

Yes, I would hope so.

If PSU "owns" the camp. Are their NCAA rules regarding Camps?(asking the question) vs. The Ken Chertow Camps

I *think* he could either operate them separately or under a combined name like Sanderson does.

"Yes, sure, but not as much as being the coach."

How So?

He'd have years to promote himself, rather than just a summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Out of those that actually know him and have worked with him, for every 1 wrestler/coach that supports Ken, there are at least 2 that despise him.
    Why is this? egomaniac or something?

Ken can be a little over zealous in his self promoting.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011