Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And The Winner Is...

Default Re: And The Winner Is...

I was actually hoping Obama's Robin Hood strategy would succeed in turning the economy around, regardless of whether I'm a D or an R. It hasn't though, so it seems like money not well spent. I'm not celebrating the high unemployment though. No president has ever been re-elected with an unemployment rate this high, let's see if Obama can overcome that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I was actually hoping Obama's Robin Hood strategy would succeed in turning the economy around, regardless of whether I'm a D or an R. It hasn't though, so it seems like money not well spent. I'm not celebrating the high unemployment though. No president has ever been re-elected with an unemployment rate this high, let's see if Obama can overcome that.
    Robin Hood? That would imply stealing from the rich which just has not happen. No one at any level has been asked to make any sacrifices.

Reagan won a landslide with unemployment at 7.2%
    FDR won with 14.6% and 16.6%

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Reagan won a landslide with unemployment at 7.2%
    FDR won with 14.6% and 16.6%
    You're right, I was mistaken about FDR. Reagan won w/unemployment lower than Obama's, and during his first administration he brought it down from double digits so the country was headed in the right direction (from an unemployment perspective).

Robin Hood? That would imply stealing from the rich which just has not happen. No one at any level has been asked to make any sacrifices.
    The rich and big business almost completely fund the government. How much more should they have to sacrifice?

You're right, I was mistaken about FDR. Reagan won w/unemployment lower than Obama's, and during his first administration he brought it down from double digits so the country was headed in the right direction (from an unemployment perspective).
    Unemployment was 7.5% when Reagan took office in Jan 1981
    The unemployment rate was 7.2% in Jan 2009

The rich and big business almost completely fund the government. How much more should they have to sacrifice?
    Considering tax rates are at near historic lows, how are the rich sacrificing so much now?
    ALso how how are the almost completely funding government if we are borrowing 40%(?) of what we spend

Letting the temporary Bush tax cuts expire across the board makes sense to me and phase them out gradually if necessary

ALso how how are the almost completely funding government if we are borrowing 40%(?) of what we spend
    That's a very valid comment - i should have said that the rich and big biz are funding government outside of what we have to borrow to make up the shortfall. Neither end of that equation (major borrowing or relying on the rich) is an attribute of a sound fiscal policy.

Anyone who pays taxes funds the government, relative to what his/her income is.

I can say that some of that 47% that Willard Mitt Romney, darling of the "Tea Party," spoke of ARE the wealthy classes. Many of those folks DO NOT pay taxes as well.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.