View Poll Results: Dake or Taylor who wins?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dake over Taylor

37 58.73%
  • Taylor over Dake

20 31.75%
  • Dake would win but it won't happen.

6 9.52%
  • Taylor would win but it won't happen.

0 0%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Dake vs Taylor, who wins?

Default Re: Dake vs Taylor, who wins?

Quote Originally Posted by cornellbigred04 View Post
    I guess I may as well jump in here too.

I think what makes this match so exciting is that Dake is great because of his defense and DT is great because of his offense. Two completely opposite wrestlers. And I agree with oldfart that this match will come down to Dake's scrambling ability. I just believe that Dake's defense is too good for DT to make this a high scoring match. given Dake's scrambling ability, powerful stand-up, and riding ability, I cant see DT taking Dake down multiple times, or turning him. DT may be able to take Dake down, and he may be able to escape, but he wont be able to take him down at will and score a lot of points from his feet.

So, if this is going to be a high scoring match, then it would mean that DT will be able to turn Dake numerous times. I dont see that happening either.

That's why I think this will be a low scoring match. And I give the edge to Dake because I believe his defense is better than DT's offense, and that Dake will be able to control the match.
    After reading that, I am curious as to how you think Dake will score his points. Do you think he will get a takedown through a scramble? Is so, okay. I just didn't read anywhere where you thought Dake was going to score points. I don't think he will turn Taylor, but he might. I just read where you gave him the edge in defense but didn't mention where you thought he would score his own points.

Personally, I give Taylor the edge b/c of his takedowns. But Dake does have great defense. Was he taken down at all last year?

Quote Originally Posted by dback_5 View Post
    Dake wins, and simply because of the fact that he is better, and has better wins. Dakes finals are Marion, Molinaro, and St. John. Taylor stared at the lights against Bubba and beat who? Hatchett!! Taylor is good, but the unicorn has to beat much better competition before crowning as superior to Dake. And yes, I do understand that Taylor beat St John multiple times too. Plus the way Dake manhandled Taylor at trials this year just cannot be ignored.
    Actually dback, I think Dake's best NCAA win was his FR year against Humphreys in the semifinals. His beating of Molinaro in the finals was quite impressive, but Molinaro was much better his SR year. As a true FR to beat Humphreys was mighty impressive, and more impressive than beating Marion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Actually dback, I think Dake's best NCAA win was his FR year against Humphreys in the semifinals. His beating of Molinaro in the finals was quite impressive, but Molinaro was much better his SR year. As a true FR to beat Humphreys was mighty impressive, and more impressive than beating Marion IMO.
    That was a great match. somwhere in that match dake seemed to be on his back and bouce back to his feet in a nano second. i'm going to watch it again.

can't find it

I remember being pretty disappointed in Humphrey's strategic decisions in that match.

Scoring went something like this:
    1st period: Hump T2 with about 15 seconds left, but made little to no effort to ride to close out the period. Dake E1
    2nd Period: Hump takes neutral, no points
    3rd Period: Dake E1.
    Dake went on to win in OT by either an escape point or RT advantage, can't remember which.

What was frustrating was that Humphrey obviously wasn't willing to go under Dake, but late in the match or in SV, he didn't try very hard to get the takedown. He just kind of stood there and let the seconds tick away and maybe hoped for a miracle in the rideouts? I never really understood it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I remember being pretty disappointed in Humphrey's strategic decisions in that match.

1st period: Hump T2 with about 15 seconds left, but made little to no effort to ride to close out the period. Dake E1
    Dake went on to win in OT by either an escape point or RT advantage, can't remember which.

What was frustrating was that Humphrey obviously wasn't willing to go under Dake, but late in the match or in SV, he didn't try very hard to get the takedown. He just kind of stood there and let the seconds tick away and maybe hoped for a miracle in the rideouts? I never really understood it.
    It's interesting that a SR would give that much respect to a true FR to take neutral. I have to admit that Dake wasn't big on my radar screen at the time. But if Humphreys takes down in 2nd period and escapes, that's likely the match for him! Humphreys is one of those guys on the list of great wrestlers to never win an NCAA title.

Love the discussion. Sounds like the irresistable force meets the immovable object. I'll be there rooting for DT, but believe that they both are winners. They'll go at it hard, and people will make way too much of it when they're done. I admire them both for taking the challenge. The All Star Classic will be a ton of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post

Mentally weak.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Tom: Humphrey sometimes struggled on bottom. The decision to take neutral was a calculated one. He may have escaped--Dake wasn't quite as good on top then as he is now. My criticism is more that he didn't attack more to avoid ride-outs when he obviously felt Dake was better on the mat.