Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanderson does not like National Duals

Default Re: Sanderson does not like National Duals

What we currently have is a sport with a stagnant fan base and a dwindling number of participating D-1 programs. Bring on the change.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Yes, I realize this, but who the heck will care.
    The wrestlers, coaches, family members, fans, boosters, athletic directors...
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    The wrestlers, coaches, family members, fans, boosters, athletic directors...

Youre telling me that the Hawkeye wrestlers, their family, Tom Brands, the Hawk Club, Gary Barta and any hawk fan will care about the NWCA National Individual Tournament team title?

Please.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Youre telling me that the Hawkeye wrestlers, their family, Tom Brands, the Hawk Club, Gary Barta and any hawk fan will care about the NWCA National Individual Tournament team title?

Please.
    I'm not going to pretend that I speak for any of those mentioned above but I find it hard to believe wouldn't care about winning any tournament they enter let alone the national championships.

I also think that we (the wrestling community) are much better served by considering what's best for the sport, not what's best for Iowa, or Penn State or Oklahoma State. We need to attract fans from other schools, pandering to the fan bases of the schools at the top isn't going to do that.

If you would really stop going to nationals because of who the guy that hands out the trophy works for then I'm truely sorry you care so little about the sport.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

If you would really stop going to nationals because of who the guy that hands out the trophy works for then I'm truely sorry you care so little about the sport.
    If the trophy doesnt represent a national championship it's worth absolutely nothing imo. I go to that tournament for the team first individual second. If you take away the reason to go, why go?

your assumption would be wrong.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

It won't attract a new fan base, it will force fans to pick and choose among regions or none at all. It doesn't bring much economic benefit to each region like the basketball tournament does. We aren't going to fill 15k-20k seats at each region. Instead it will be 5k max and that is stretching it. Inviting only 16 teams to a dual meet show is much like the BCS excluding non member football teams. This also will do nothing to save individual teams.

I'm not going to pretend that I speak for any of those mentioned above but I find it hard to believe wouldn't care about winning any tournament they enter let alone the national championships.

I also think that we (the wrestling community) are much better served by considering what's best for the sport, not what's best for Iowa, or Penn State or Oklahoma State. We need to attract fans from other schools, pandering to the fan bases of the schools at the top isn't going to do that.

With all due respect, I think the debate is not between those who are looking out for what's best for the sport as a whole vs those who are only looking out for their team's interest. There really are different philosophies out there as to what's best for the sport. Those differrences in philosophies are what's driving this controversy.

If the trophy doesnt represent a national championship it's worth absolutely nothing imo. I go to that tournament for the team first individual second. If you take away the reason to go, why go?

your assumption would be wrong.
    I know that Iowa State hasn't been near a BCS title at any point in time, but you do realize that the ultimate prize in NCAA football isn't an NCAA trophy, right?

Don't see the big deal. Legitimize National Duals and nothing changes at all about Ind. tourney save the letters on the trophy.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Yes, I realize this, but who the heck will care. It doesn't mean jack squat. It will be like winning the Midlands. It's fine and everything but means nothing. As a Hawk fan the only thing that matters is national titles. I am in favor of a dual national championship but not at the expense of what we currently have.
    Do you care who wins the Hodge trophy or is that meaningless too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.