Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: montell arrested again .

Default Re: montell arrested again .

It's hard for people to help you if you don't want to help yourself. I'm 25 and have no interest in hearing the age excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Brands may have givin him one more chance than he deserved but contrary to what BBL says he was walking the straight and narrow before he was allowed back onto the team and continued to do so at least until the season was over last year.
    I thought his arrest for driving with a suspended license was post-suspension and still during the season. As I said, I may be off, so I don't mean to slam him if that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Eligibility or not, it amazes me how quick people are to disregard a young, troubled person and kick him to the curb. Forget wrestling for a minute. This is a guy who can help society for the next 60 years or be a drain on it. You all apparently want him to be a drain on it. Forget about the excitement that some of his wins brought Hawkeye fans. Just give up on a 22 or 23 year old, his usefullness in life is obviously over.
    There is some space between throwing someone to the curb and continuing to enable bad behavior. He was given more leniency and opportunity than I can imagine anyone would get in a professional environment. So if there is a bus involved, I think people are finally letting him run under the bus, not someone else throwing him there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    It's hard for people to help you if you don't want to help yourself. I'm 25 and have no interest in hearing the age excuse.
    Age is no excuse. Neither is his behavior. I'm just saying that you have to continue to try and help. Giving up on him means he will give up on himself. Then society has to pay for him for the next 60 years. As a tax payer, I would rather he gets the help he needs now, so it saves me money later.

I don't really know much other than what's been posted here about Montell's situation. It's sad, as is Andrew Long's case. Alcohol seems to have played a role in both of their situations. It seems to me that both need someone that can meaningfully come along side them and show them a better way. I'm thinking of Tony Dungy's role in Michael Vick's life. Everybody had about written Vick off. Dungy came alongside, with compassion and character (and faith) and helped him (as best I can tell from a distance) to turn his life around. Time will tell if that's true or not.

Well said, Tom.

I think a big part of Vick's improvement is that he did go to jail. Without a life-changing experience like that, I don't know that he makes much change.

Eventually, it gets to the point that supporting someone is not helping someone. Long is now experiencing that, and possibly MM will too. I doubt Long would be making any real effort to change his life if he weren't spending time in jail.

I don't mean this as an insult at any of the three people, just the reality of what some people need to initiate substantial change in their lives.

I heard once from a friend and counselor that people need to hit "rock bottom" before they can be helped, and that "rock bottom" is different for everyone. For some people it's just a bad hangover for others it's jail time and losing everything. Until someone hits bottom then helping them is just hurting them and delaying the inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Ok. I think I understand what you all are saying now. I mistook some posts as people saying to give up on him. I agree, Jensen, if jail is what's needed then that's what he should get. But by looking at the rate of return visits, it's obvious that prison doesn't work for everyone. I just want him to get the help he needs and it sounds like most people are saying that too. I just misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I agree, Jensen, if jail is what's needed then that's what he should get.
    I don't know what I have to do with this. I don't care if they lock him up or let him out. Doesn't matter to me one iota.

All I was doing was answering Russ' question that in all likelihood "Hawkeye Nation" (of which I am not a member) will probably not be rallying around him again.

They don't need him anymore.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12