Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Post-Season Changes

Default Re: Proposed Post-Season Changes

Would you care if(not that this would happen) Iowa won the BCS national championship? I wouldnt. Who cares what it is called, its the same exact thing and its the goal all teams will work for.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

The definition of "team title" is and always has been the team that scores the most points via the NCAA Tournament format. If you want to go to a dual meet format to determine the national champion, then you are simply redefining the meaning of team champion. While this may be a fairer way to determine the national champion team, it will greatly reduce the importance of, and interest in the NCAA tournament, and very possibly reduce attendance and national exposure.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I posted my thoughts on another board, but will try to resurrect them here. I DO like the idea of a national dual meet championship. Dual meet strength and tournament strength are different as we all know. BUT, I DON'T like making the NCAA tournament team title irrelevant. It can't help but greatly detract from the intensity and fan interest of that tourney. Wrestlers will no longer be motivated to push for bonus points; we'll see closer matches; and a lot of the drama will be lost. I think (I know this has no chance of being adopted) that the true National Team Champion should be decided by a combination of both tournaments. Each tournament would determine its tournament champion, but then a point system would be set up that would determine the composite overall National Team Champion. That makes both tournaments relevant and keeps the team drama alive for the March tournament. I know it's a compromise--but it's better than throwing out 80+ years of NCAA tournament tradition and excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Would you care if(not that this would happen) Iowa won the BCS national championship? I wouldnt. Who cares what it is called, its the same exact thing and its the goal all teams will work for.
    Exactly, it is just another thing for teams to shoot for. I could be wrong, but I would think that Gable would've wanted just this, to be able to wrestle the best teams in a dual meet tournament and definitively crush them. Then go on to the NCAA's and win that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Exactly, it is just another thing for teams to shoot for. I could be wrong, but I would think that Gable would've wanted just this, to be able to wrestle the best teams in a dual meet tournament and definitively crush them. Then go on to the NCAA's and win that as well.

Gable would've won whatever the format was. He trained his guys to win individual titles. The team aspect would come. The team title was most important though. That is the team title at NCAA's not duals. I don't mind having a dual title. I would love to add more gold to Iowas trophy case, but not at the expense of Nationals.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

What I think is pretty offensive is that so many are selling the wrestlers/coaches short. Do you really think these guys wont compete as hard? Do you think that the athletes/coaches wont be motivated? Maybe im in the minority but im not going to sell the athletes that short.

So really unless you believe the athletes and coaches wont wrestle/work as hard the only issue is YOUR own personal issue with semantics. Which, if you want to find a reason to dislike something, that will be your scape goat. Im of the opinion kids want to be national champions and all americans and they want to wrestle for a team title. Kids wrestle hard for the freaking reno TOC and Midlands, you dont think theyll go hard for the national tournament?

What I think is pretty offensive is that so many are selling the wrestlers/coaches short. Do you really think these guys wont compete as hard? Do you think that the athletes/coaches wont be motivated? Maybe im in the minority but im not going to sell the athletes that short.

So really unless you believe the athletes and coaches wont wrestle/work as hard the only issue is YOUR own personal issue with semantics. Which, if you want to find a reason to dislike something, that will be your scape goat. Im of the opinion kids want to be national champions and all americans and they want to wrestle for a team title. Kids wrestle hard for the freaking reno TOC and Midlands, you dont think theyll go hard for the national tournament?
    I don't believe I implied anything like that. My points all refer to how these changes would affect non-participating fans and the general public, and thus the sport in general.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I don't believe I implied anything like that. My points all refer to how these changes would affect non-participating fans and the general public, and thus the sport in general.
    I know. Just a general statement of stuff Ive observed. Not an accusation meant for any one person.

I think the wrestlers will wrestle hard and the coaches will be at their best. I just don't think it's going to matter as much to the fans. For me, above all else...It's about Iowa. Then its down to McDonough, Ramos... If we win the championship with no champions I'm happy. If we win five championships but not the team title I'm on the verge of suicide.

It's going to cheapen the team aspect of the national tournament and I'm against it. If they could figure out a way to make duals better without effing with Nationals I'd be all in.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09