Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: USADA to Ban/Strip Lance Armstrong

Default Re: USADA to Ban/Strip Lance Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Are these guys allowed to use anti-inflammatory drugs during the race? What about an asthma inhaler? I know these things are usually legal, but wouldn't they also enhance the performance of someone with tendonitis or who has asthma? I'm just curious how stringent they are. I've heard hockey players can't use sudafed for some athletic enhancement that escapes me now.
    I believe the WADA rules are the same across all sports and they have a list of banned drugs. I think some athsma medication has a a stimulant in it and is therefore banned.

Can a US agency even strip Lance Armstrong of titles that he won in France? It's not like the USADA is a cycling governing body.

I don't know a whole lot about Armstrong, but I enjoyed Rick Reilly's take: Rick Reilly: Armstrong still worth honoring - ESPN

Ford: Book by former Lance Armstrong teammate and friend by turns banal and very ugly - ESPN Article about doping in cycling.

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder how much doping goes on in high level wrestling.

I've said this before and it was wildly unpopular but I am in favor of doping in every professional sport. I love to see almost inhuman acts of athletisism. I couldn't care less if it destroys their innards. They know and willingly take the risk. Who are we to sit back and judge?

Amatuer sports or any athlete under the age of consent in their state though, should need a parents signature before doping.

I've said this before and it was wildly unpopular but I am in favor of doping in every professional sport. I love to see almost inhuman acts of athletisism. I couldn't care less if it destroys their innards. They know and willingly take the risk. Who are we to sit back and judge?
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

That link wanted me to buy a subscription, Spider. Can you describe it? I'm guessing it was funny.

That link wanted me to buy a subscription, Spider. Can you describe it? I'm guessing it was funny.
    I just clicked on it and it played, and I don't suscribe to anything. If it doesn't work, try this one, but it starts with an ad and doesn't include the lead-in.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ympics/1198068
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Haha! Funny stuff. Who wouldn't want to see that?

Amatuer sports or any athlete under the age of consent in their state though, should need a parents signature before doping.
    I sympathize with your point of view. The obvious issue is that great athletes who want to be the best, but don't want to sacrifice their future health through drug use, would be at a big disadvantage (as many already are.)

Even better, why have any limits at all? I am sure runners could be much faster if they had prosthetic assistance - perhaps some form of exoskeleton, powered framework. In fact, most sports would be enhanced if we weren't limited to just the human body. How far could long jumpers go if they used jet packs? Powered pole vaulting. The atlatle javelin throw and onager shot put. Powered bicycles! Flippers on the swimmers - or powered sleds! I see no reason to rely on mere human capabilities.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.