Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D1CW 2007 Recruiting Class Rewind

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Re: D1CW 2007 Recruiting Class Rewind

I saw and I'm hoping for it. I'm thinking and it might have been the 98-99 season if not that then it was the 97-98
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    It sticks in my mind that Tim Darling went to Kutztown and that he placed something like 5th. But, I looked up the results and no Tim Darling placed in Div 2. There was a John Darling for College of NJ that placed 6th in Div III at 157 (which was Tim Darling's old weight). Not sure what to make of that. Couldn't find a Tim Darling as placer in either Div 2 or Div 3.
    IIRC Darling went up like 3 weight classes his senior year and made AA.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    I saw and I'm hoping for it. I'm thinking and it might have been the 98-99 season if not that then it was the 97-98
    Jeez kid , how young are you ? 18-19 ? Puberty is a bitch !!
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

I am starting my sophomore year at college, I am 20 btw. I am also on the radio up here and always seem to hear how young I am when talking about music. Back on topic, I always say it is best to go for a respected kid out of one of the big states (Ohio, PA, Iowa, etc) then go for a highly lauded recruit out of somewhere like Virginia, Texas, etc. More often then not the kids coming out of those other states are wind up busts.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

I'd hate to be you when VAIS reads this .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

I agree with Falcon. The kids out of the more traditional wrestling states seem to have wrestling ingrained into their being. They may not be more athletic but they have that extra work ethic that gives them the mental edge to take their wrestling to the next level. Wrestlers from Texas and Virginia don't have that. However, they are better at ropin cattle and well...whatever it is they do in Virginia.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I agree with Falcon. The kids out of the more traditional wrestling states seem to have wrestling ingrained into their being. They may not be more athletic but they have that extra work ethic that gives them the mental edge to take their wrestling to the next level. Wrestlers from Texas and Virginia don't have that. However, they are better at ropin cattle and well...whatever it is they do in Virginia.
    We're too busy producing Presidents and freedom to worry about such nonsense.

I'll say that VA is on the up-swing and sure as heck has more talent than Kentucky.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    I am starting my sophomore year at college, I am 20 btw. I am also on the radio up here and always seem to hear how young I am when talking about music. Back on topic, I always say it is best to go for a respected kid out of one of the big states (Ohio, PA, Iowa, etc) then go for a highly lauded recruit out of somewhere like Virginia, Texas, etc. More often then not the kids coming out of those other states are wind up busts.
    I agree to an extent, but with the amount of tournaments that top kids can travel to they have a chance to prove themselves. Would anyone argue that Joey Dance isn't one of the top kids in the country because he competes in Virginia? Tim Dudley out of North Carolina absolutely mauled several highly ranked wrestlers at last years super 32!! On the other hand, a kid that wins 2 state titles against questionable in state competition and never travels to larger competitions is a very risky proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    We're too busy producing Presidents and freedom to worry about such nonsense.

I'll say that VA is on the up-swing and sure as heck has more talent than Kentucky.

You may have George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Maddison and a whole slew of other Presidents, but we have Dan Gable.

Adv Iowa.

Back on topic. It sure would be nice if Virginia or some southern states could start to solidify themselves as being in the upper echelon of high school wrestling. The more competition the better.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09