Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will Obama be held accountable?

Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

Obama was in Waterloo/Cedar Falls on Tuesday. As he usually seems to do, he made a surprise visit to a bar in Cedar Falls. Nothing much here to add, except that the expression on the guy's face who is sitting next to Obama is priceless!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	502d237dd692e.preview-620.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	3076
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post

I was on the fence about whom to vote for until Romney chose Ryan as his running mate. To me, that shifted him from a moderate to a hard line right winger, which is a little too extreme for me regarding social issues.
    Most social issues are decided by states or the supreme court. I don't think Paul Ryan is going to be able to make any decisions on gay marriage or abortion. I don't agree with either one but I also wouldn't hinge my vote on those issues. If Ryan is able to help with the deficit and the economy then I will be elated. He talks tough on both issues so lets hope he stays tough. To me, those are the two biggest needs right now.

I think the fact is that when you make claims like this you should be held to account for them. Obama knew what the state of the nation was when he took office and when he was running for office, I dont believe that they only had an idea and then once they got to office everything just hit them. If it did then we should have elected someone with a little more foresight. I understand that Presidents cant fulfill all of the promises made, but to not even get the nation going into the direction of deficit cutting is just crazy.

I also dont see how cutting back on gov. would hurt our economy, I think it could only help. Also ODH I agree with you to a point if you want more tax revenue then you need to collect tax's from everyone, even the bottom 40% who dont pay any tax at all. But in general I think that it has been proven that raising tax's does not lead to more revenue. Unless we have another .com boom.

If we're allowed to deny the truthiness of the Laffer Curve here then we ought to be able to deny global warming without question as well.

Also, relying on Rachel Freaking Maddow to be the arbiter of truth is getting a stretchy with reality. She's an angry lefty white lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    If we're allowed to deny the truthiness of the Laffer Curve here then we ought to be able to deny global warming without question as well.

Also, relying on Rachel Freaking Maddow to be the arbiter of truth is getting a stretchy with reality. She's an angry lefty white lady.
    The Laffer Curve is a valid theory in economics? That's a new one on me, and I've been around a reasonable number of economists in my day. It didn't work too well in practice either, otherwise we wouldn't have needed 11 tax increases during the 80's, right?

What did you find inaccurate about any of the Maddow clips? I would welcome any inaccuracies that you could show me. As a bit of warning, she uses peoples' own words to expose them, so she doesn't need to make anything up. Her allure wouldn't be the same. AM radio has done a great job in duping people into thinking that a biased perspective is an accurate one. We are all biased, yet we can accurately state facts as well.

Either way, check her out and let me know what's incorrect. I'd be interested.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 08-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Did she use Obama's words to expose him, no she did not. She is on par with Limbaugh imo. If she had tried to expose Obama with his own words the first exposure would have been, why haven't you cut the deficit in half Mr president.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I think the fact is that when you make claims like this you should be held to account for them. Obama knew what the state of the nation was when he took office and when he was running for office, I dont believe that they only had an idea and then once they got to office everything just hit them. If it did then we should have elected someone with a little more foresight. I understand that Presidents cant fulfill all of the promises made, but to not even get the nation going into the direction of deficit cutting is just crazy.

I also dont see how cutting back on gov. would hurt our economy, I think it could only help. Also ODH I agree with you to a point if you want more tax revenue then you need to collect tax's from everyone, even the bottom 40% who dont pay any tax at all. But in general I think that it has been proven that raising tax's does not lead to more revenue. Unless we have another .com boom.
    I have done it before and I will call anyone who repeats the misinformation that the bottom 40% don't pay any tax at all. The true statement is that they don't pay any federal income tax... Also wanting to tax the bottom 40% is just political posturing, most of these people don't pay tax becasue they make zero to almost no money. There will be no sognificant deficit reduction made if we confiscate every single penny they make.

In addition, you are 100% wrong on the assumption that more tax does not create more revenue. Every serious conservative economists disagrees with you on this.

Also it is not crazy to not focus on deficit cutting during a recession. And this is widely agreed by most economists on both the left and rigth. Lefties want more government spending to stimulate the economy and righties want to see taxes cut so that private money can invest. Neither want to focus on cuting the deficit.

Finally your contention that the .com boom work miracles in another myth. The .com boom ended up being a bust becasue there was very little real revenue and profits create by the initial wave of .co stocks. It was mostly speculation that made a very few rich, but did not lead to real economic activity and therefore increase government revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Most social issues are decided by states or the supreme court. I don't think Paul Ryan is going to be able to make any decisions on gay marriage or abortion. I don't agree with either one but I also wouldn't hinge my vote on those issues. If Ryan is able to help with the deficit and the economy then I will be elated. He talks tough on both issues so lets hope he stays tough. To me, those are the two biggest needs right now.
    I don't know how much influence the VP has, but the selection of Ryan demonstrates to me Romney's true position on these issues. I'm uncomfortable with people in the white house whose social philosophy is so different from mine, and from what I feel should be the philosophy of our leaders and our country. Frankly, I don't think either candidate can drastically turn around the economy - it will gradually correct itself regardless of who is elected.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Frankly, I don't think either candidate can drastically turn around the economy - it will gradually correct itself regardless of who is elected.
    You mentioned one of the dirty little secrets about the economy. The other is consumer confidence, which then directly links to what you said.

See, you're more sophisticated in your social and political stances than you give yourself credit for.