Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 58

Thread: Will Obama be held accountable?

  1. #19

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Snackem, I can't argue because as I said, I'm not that well versed in the facts. I do believe that Obama is not the scourge that right wing extremists make him out to be, but is honest and well intentioned. I have seen a lot of anti-Obama propaganda that even to my naive eyes is obviously based on half truths and innuendo.

    I was on the fence about whom to vote for until Romney chose Ryan as his running mate. To me, that shifted him from a moderate to a hard line right winger, which is a little too extreme for me regarding social issues.
    I think that I'm one of the few hard right wingers that DOES believe this. I'd love the chance to meet him and have a beer sometime. I think the same thing about Bush, Clinton, Bush, etc. I'm always shocked by what the far right says about Obama and I'm just about as far right politically (socially too) as people can get. I was also always shocked at the vitriol that the left directed at Bush. Then both sides get mad when the other does it. I think that is what turns a lot of people off of politics. I do love some negative campaigning (as long as it is based on fact, and policy/social/recent character issues; I don't care what Obama, or Romney did as a college student, I know that I've made mistakes) mainly because Romney isn't going to tell me his short coming, or what I might not want to hear. Obama isn't going to do that either.

    I was also on the fence about Romney until his pick of Ryan, then I decided that he might be the guy for me. I just wish that Romney was a little farther to the right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  2. #20

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    You do have to admit, though, that Ryan DOES look like Sammie Henson.



    Attachment 3073

    Attachment 3074
    See Ban one more reason for you to vote for Romney/Ryan! You're coming around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  3. #21
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I was on the fence about whom to vote for until Romney chose Ryan as his running mate. To me, that shifted him from a moderate to a hard line right winger, which is a little too extreme for me regarding social issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    I was also on the fence about Romney until his pick of Ryan, then I decided that he might be the guy for me. I just wish that Romney was a little farther to the right.
    I guess that's what makes life interesting. We'll see how the rest of the country feels in November. Even though my opinions on social issues (abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc.) are very different from guys like Ugly, Quinn, and yourself, I repect you all and enjoy the debates.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  4. #22
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    In a recent ad by Mit or a Mit supporter they showed footage of Obama promising to cut the deficit in half, in his first term. I dont know why more of his supporters aren't looking at his record and wondering what happened. He has not only failed to do this but he has increased the deficit. Will he be held accountable for this.

    And dont tell me it was out of his control, he has the veto power. I realize his control is limited, but if you cant keep your promises then dont make them.
    No politician has ever been able to fulfill all of his campaign promise. Even if they are 100% sincere when they make them, circumstances change and their power is not unlimited to make everything happen that they wish.

    Cutting deficits has never been a priority for any President and it is clear that Obama and (almost all economists) did not think that it was wise to start slashing the government and raising taxes during a deep recession. Remember a large part of the deficit and stimulus spending was tax cuts.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Cutting deficits has never been a priority for any President
    As Dick Go F Yourself Cheney said, "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter."


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	matthews-leno-cheney.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	3075
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  6. #24
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Spider I have heard that a lot, but in my eyes he has not even attempted to lower the deficit. In fact he has not proposed (that I am aware of) any cuts whatsoever. I'm sure that there is some pork out there somewhere that he could cut as a show of good faith or to prove that he was indeed serious about the issue. He's also made several other promises about being open and accountable that have gone unmet. He promised to post the entire text of bills online for 72 hrs so that people could read them and tell their reps what the felt about them when in fact his marquee piece of legislation, the affordable care act was only finished for 2 hrs--even the then majority leader said famously "we have to pass the bill to see what's in the bill".

    That is one promise that could be easily kept.
    Focusing your efforts on "cutting pork" shows that you are not sincere about cutting the deficit. That is more about making a political show. Anyone who really wants a lower deficit knows that it has to be accomplishments by tax increases for the majority of Americans, cuts in entitlements, and cuts in defense. Now which candidate is running on that platform? Oh yeah... the one who is not getting any votes. Blaming politicians for not taking on the tough issues is like blaming the mirror for its reflection.

    On the side note, do you really care about bills being posted online 72 hours before a vote? If you don't like Obama this is an easy way to attack him, but is it really substantial? I have only heard of that promise through right wingers who use it as an example to prove how sneaky Obama is. However, I suspect that has got to be a technical/pratical reason why this was done. What it is, I actually don't care. I would never read a bill before it is voted on. I am also confident that there is not a sinister reason for it.

  7. #25

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Anyone who really wants a lower deficit knows that it has to be accomplishments by tax increases for the majority of Americans
    You're wrong! Don't you know that the Laffer curve CLEARLY shows that lowering taxes brings in revenues to the gubment!?

    I think that's why Ronnie Trees Cause The Greenhouse Effect Reagan raised taxes 11 times!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    I view campaign promises as something candidates do to get elected and little else. Obama wasn't able to follow through for a variety of reasons that are difficult to pin down. I believe most politicians are well intentioned at first but then get caught up in ideological bull excrement and pander to special interest lobbying. The energy sector spreads the money over both sides of the aisle to ensure favorable legislation regardless of who wins.

  9. #27

    Default Re: Will Obama be held accountable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Remember a large part of the deficit and stimulus spending was tax cuts.
    This is something that a lot of people forget.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •