Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rio 2016 Olympic Team USA FS Predictions

Default Re: Rio 2016 Olympic Team USA FS Predictions

Metcalf made it to Worlds in 2010 the year they were in Moscow. He lost to Tushishvili in the first round. He won the Olympic test event last year, that's probably what you're thinking of. He beat Hasanov this year's bronze medalist from Azerbaijan in the final.

As far as the thread topic I agree at 60, 66, 74, and 96. I think it would be interesting to speculate on who fills the other three spots.

As far as 84 kilos as one of the spots being up in the air, if he decides he wants it I certainly wouldn't bet against Ed Ruth.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    If I'm not mistaken it was Metcalf that qualified the weight at worlds last year, though I could be wrong about that. I know that he made a world team recently though.
    It was him that qualified the weight. I remember watching it on flo. I have full confidence that if he really wants to continue, he can earn a spot. That guy is relentless. I really hope he gives it another shot. But I fully understand the need and desire to move on if that's what he needs to do. I just hope it isn't what he needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    If I'm not mistaken it was Metcalf that qualified the weight at worlds last year, though I could be wrong about that. I know that he made a world team recently though.
    yea he won the world team trials in 2010 and won the challenge bracket in 2011 before losing to teyon ware for the spot.
    "Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts." -Dan Gable

I think it was vais who said that McDonough wanted to stay around 55kgs. I would think it too difficult for him to stay that weight for that long but can he? If not, what about that dude from Indiana? His name is escaping me but I think it starts with an "E", he was a national champ for them. That guy loks like he could stay down there.

Escobedo. Hes a huge 55, but will probably stay there.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Escobedo. Hes a huge 55, but will probably stay there.
    So no McDonough?

Shane that is exactly what i was thinking of actually.

This is a really interesting and challenging thing to consider. Who know which guy might suddenly appear our of nowhere between now and then. After Beijing who would have bet on Burroughs or Trevel being the number one guys in the country (or world for Burroughs)?

That being said I like making an arse out of myself so I'll make my picks.
    55 Simmons
    60 Steiber
    66 Metcalf beats out Oliver for the spot
    74 Burroughs over an incredibly deep field including Dake, Taylor and others
    84 Howe
    96 Varner
    120 Hanke
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

let's slow down handing 74 kg to burroughs for the next cycle. i'm sure lots of people expected kemp to hold the spot forever after beating out dziedzic, enter dave schultz. then it's schultz's spot, enter monday. then it's monday's spot, return schultz and a year of koll. finally back to monday.

I forgot about Simmons. I don't know why either. That guy is nasty once he gets that headlock. Those are some good picks Snackem.