Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle - get a point and stall your azzoff

Default Re: Freestyle - get a point and stall your azzoff

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I don't mean to sound uppity, but I found them very exciting. Maybe you don't appreciate all the idiosyncrasies? Who knows, but I loved most of what I saw.
    I will admit that I am not very knowledgeable about freestyle and greco, and that I have a strong bias in favor of folkstyle, but I know what wrestling is and what skills it requires, and I believe that folkstyle requires a greater diversity of skills and consequently creates more action and more scoring. I am in no way belittling the wrestlers or their athletic ability, only the rules of the game.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Then again I find greco to be pretty painful comparatively, so maybe I'm just ignorant in that dept.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    Do you know Tony Micelli?

We've never met.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

zzyxx, as it relates to this year's Olympic freestyle tournament, you are just wrong. The action in this tournament was incredible. If you don't like freestyle that is fine, but there was a ton of scoring, comebacks, throws, pins, everything you could ask for out of a wrestgling tournament IMO.

Greco is a different story. I think you either like it or you don't. There is a fascinating thread on the other board, led by FILA member and world champion Stan Dziedzic, about the problems in getting greco scoring up. The central problem IMO is that scoring on a high-level greco wrestler on the feet is very difficult. the current format doesn't really reward big points on the ground- a 2 pt gut will win the period just as much as a 5 pt throw. Nonetheless, there were some great greco matches (see the "greco awards" thread.)

For those asking how to see matches, ctvolympics.com has most of them archived. As far as I know they only work in Canada, not sure if people are able to get to them to work elsewhere. I'm sure filawebtv will have them up soon.

Watched about 25 matches. Most didn't have much action but did have a lot of stalling after a point was scored. A few flurries but not many overall.

FILA needs to change the rules so the athletes wrestle, not stall. They need mat wrestling with the bottom man working to get out or reversing, not hold on trying not to be rolled over. Looks like kids on the carpet this way.

Make back exposure meaningful, not just rolling over and getting mystery points no one can figure out and the officials can't explain. Make it so you have to actuall turn the opponent for a specific period of time, more like Collegiate US style. Much easier to understand and officiate.

Freestyle is basically a track meet with occasional takedowns and once in awhile some action.

I kind of agree with Spider but not all the way. I found that freestyle is exciting when I have someone to root for. I can't just watch two guys I've never heard of wrestle freestyle. Folkstyle, however, I can watch anything from junior high to the NCAA tourney. Doesn't matter who they are.

I'm sure that is because it's what I was raised on. But the Olympics are never going to change the rules to fit American fans. The only place in the world that does wrestle folkstyle (as far as I know) is the U.S. It would be like Japan demanding that rules be changed to sumo.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Watched about 25 matches. Most didn't have much action but did have a lot of stalling after a point was scored. A few flurries but not many overall.

FILA needs to change the rules so the athletes wrestle, not stall. They need mat wrestling with the bottom man working to get out or reversing, not hold on trying not to be rolled over. Looks like kids on the carpet this way.

Make back exposure meaningful, not just rolling over and getting mystery points no one can figure out and the officials can't explain. Make it so you have to actuall turn the opponent for a specific period of time, more like Collegiate US style. Much easier to understand and officiate.

Freestyle is basically a track meet with occasional takedowns and once in awhile some action.
    so you are saying you would enjoy freestyle wrestling if it was just like folkstyle wrestling. That is fine, to each their own. Doesn't mean that everyone is scoring just one point and then stalling though. I'd suggest watching matches of Espinal, Sharifov, Burroughs, Asgarov, Otarsultanov, Yazdani to start if you want to see a lot of csoring.

I've now seen just over half of the matches wrestled (In all three styles and I'll finish the other half in another couple of weeks) and I can say that while there were some snoozefest matches most of them were very exciting. I've always loved international styles though. I do on occasion pine for some of the old rules where passivities were called and it was one 5 min period or two three minute periods and no ball draw but there are some advantages to the new rules (except for the ball draw, I HATE that one. If the score is tied wrestle a sudden death OT or just another :30).

I think that you should check out some of the matches that Arm-Spin suggested, those guys put on a show. I'll try and go back through and find some links to interesting matches too if I have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

One of the many things i like about the new rules is the lack of the stalling/passisivity calls...referees played to big part in matches
    I also like the pushout rule ans especially the bestof three. Thisgoes along way to prevent stalling

I hate the clinch and the tiebreaker rule. Last point scored should not win the period. And a tiebreaker clinch is really only needed if there is a tie after the third period. If the score is tied after two minutes let it count as a tie period.