Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Olympics Top 10 Freestyle Wrestlers

Default Re: Post Olympics Top 10 Freestyle Wrestlers

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Great analysis gbdaz, except that Asgarov went to the worlds 2 years ago and placed 2nd at 55 kg.
    Yeah I was just thinking of 60kg, at 55 he had some really top results as well I probably should've included them in my list, I might change things around then.

My list would be very similar to JensenS but I would probably move up Yonemitsu. That was a hell of a draw he went through and he is Olympic champ, whereas Yazdani and Kudukhov are not.

I'm going to take a shot at this weight by weight, after which I'll probably take a bit of a break posting on this board. Getting a bit of wrestling overload trying to watch all the matches

55 kg
    1- Otarsultanov, Russia
    2- Lebedev, Russia. 2x world champ lost very close to Otarsultanov, probably less than 100% health wise.
    3- Khinegashvilli, Georgia. Olympic final could have gone either way, lost a great bout on tiebreakers.
    4- Yang, North Korea.
    5- Japan (names escapes me)
    6- Velikov, Bulgaria

1- Asgarov, Azarbayjan Probably the best season of any wrestler this year
    2- Kudukhov, Russia
    3- Scott,, USA. Very impressive.
    4- Sat, Russia. Crazy barn-burner of a match with Asragov earlier this year, closer than anyone else I can think of.
    5- Yumoto, Japan
    6- Dutt, India

1- Yonemitsu, Japan
    2- Kumar, India
    3- Lopez, Cuba
    4- Taghavi, Iran. Lost to Cuba in the first round at the Olympics, all clinches
    5- Hasaynov, Azerbayjan
    6- Kazakstan (bronze medallist, name escapes me)

1- Burroughs (USA)
    2- Tsargush (Russia)
    3- Goudrazi (Iran). Really looked like a deer in headlights in the finals IMO
    4- Tigiev (Uzbekistan)
    5- Gentry (Canada)
    6- Geduev (Russia)

84- once again, the toughest weight to rank. Espinal's crazy out of nowhere run throws messes these up big time. Here's my best shot
    1- Sharifov, Azerbayjan
    2- Lashgari, Iran
    3- Saritov, Russia. Beat Espinal at the recent grand prix, and lacks the embarassing loss many of the other top guys recently suffered.
    4- Espinal, Puerto Rico. Very interested to see if he continues to be a world level wrestler after the Olympics
    5- Mashgarvilli, Georgia
    6- Urishev, Russia. He had a crappy draw but didn't look to impressive at the Olympics IMO>

96- the Yazdani/Varner/Gadisov rankings have been debated to death. The one that really threw me was the Ukranian. Isnt' he one of the up and comers akzent was telling us about?
    1- Yazdani, Iran. Assuming he recovers quickly and fully from his injury.
    2- Varner, USA
    3- Gadisov, Russia. Can't put him over Varner with 0 world medals, and a loss to Gogchelidze this year I believe.
    4- Andriiyev (or whatever his name is), Ukraine.
    5- Gogchelidze, Georgia. It sucks for him that his best years co-incided with Gatsalov's.
    6- Gayzumov, Azerbayjan. I coudn't believe his collapse against Ukraine. Second year in a row he loses one he shoukldn't. What's going on with this guy?

1- Taymazov, Uzbekistan. Is he now the #2 all time heavyweight behind Medved? I'm not much of a historian... anyone else?
    2- Magomedov, Georgia. Solid win over Makhov.
    3- Makhov, Russia.
    4- Iranian, who I believe took Taymazov to double clinches in addition to beating Dlagnev
    5- Dlagnev, USA
    6- Shemarov, Belarus
    Last edited by arm-spin; 08-18-2012 at 07:31 AM.

6- that guy that got screwed against Saitiev at nationals (Adam I assume has re-retired)

Geduev

Taymazov, Uzbekistan. Is he now the #2 all time heavyweight behind Medved? I'm not much of a historian... anyone else?

the guy from the usa at hwt was pretty successful. 13 world/olympic medals, 4 golds. 1,2,1,3 at olympics

As much as I'd love to play the patriotic American and back big Bruce I think Taymazov is almost equal in total number of medals (I think he might have 9 total) but greater in the number of yellow medals pushes him over the top.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

3- Gadisov, Russia. Can't put him over Varner with 0 world medals, and a loss to Gogchelidze this year I believe.
    He has never lost to Gogshelidze; beat him 2x this year - in the Iranian league and at the Olympic qualification tourney.

I've got Howe over Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by akzent View Post
    He has never lost to Gogshelidze; beat him 2x this year - in the Iranian league and at the Olympic qualification tourney.
    I think Gogchelidze beat him in an early season tournament in Armenia before the two losses you mention. Perhaps Hubbard can help out, I think he was the one who posted it on the Canadian forum.

I remember Howe beat Gentry (and lost to Garcia) early this year. Any other significant international results?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    As much as I'd love to play the patriotic American and back big Bruce I think Taymazov is almost equal in total number of medals (I think he might have 9 total) but greater in the number of yellow medals pushes him over the top.
    strictly being objective, check the math. world/olympic medals: bruce 13 taymazov 9, golds bruce 4 taymazov 5. no doubt that greater consistency and longevity have to go to bruce.