Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: 2012 London Olympics: 60/84/120 KG Discussion

Default Re: 2012 London Olympics: 60/84/120 KG Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Tervel looked awful that last match. Tired and couldnt finish shots. Not like himself. Maybe he does better in the flow of tourney as opposed to sitting and waiting?
    got to agree that he looked awful...but one of the thingsminreally like about the Olympic tournament is how fast it goes. not a lot of waiting compared to collegiate tournaments... maybe he forgot he was wrestling Freestyle

i dont know what to say about the 84-kg final. fixed??? after great matches (a lot of action) in the quarters and the semis, in the final match he stood on the mat doing absolutely nothing, simply waiting for the end of the match.

I was working all day today so I'm just now going back and watching matches. I'm watching Herbert's last match and I can't figure out how they scored the flurry in the third, and why they wouldn't challenge it? Was Zeke afraid of being 3 points down instead of 2?

Also on a separate note at the end of the first what did they award a Push Out or takedown?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

The scoring in Herbert's match didn't make any sense to me either. He should have scored 3in that flurry but somehow he scored 0 and the other dude scored 6. Not saying he would've won anyway but he should have scored something.

BTW- Zeke did challenge the last furry. In fact, he got yellow carded. Whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    The scoring in Herbert's match didn't make any sense to me either. He should have scored 3in that flurry but somehow he scored 0 and the other dude scored 6. Not saying he would've won anyway but he should have scored something.

BTW- Zeke did challenge the last furry. In fact, he got yellow carded. Whatever that means.
    That was his 1/3 final match... I thought the scoring was reasonable, although I am not that well versed in Freestyle scoring. The scoring in the 2nd period of the consliation semi against Turkey comlpeely baffled me.

Quote Originally Posted by akzent View Post
    i dont know what to say about the 84-kg final. fixed??? after great matches (a lot of action) in the quarters and the semis, in the final match he stood on the mat doing absolutely nothing, simply waiting for the end of the match.
    In the US we have the saying that the clock struck midnght and the Cinderella story was over. Espanil does not have much internatinal experience and probably had time to think about where he was and lost the confidence he had up through the semi's
    Last edited by ODH; 08-12-2012 at 05:23 AM.

My arguments were more of political rather than of psychological nature. AZE is a state with authoritarian presidential rule, where big (public) money is invested in sports and athletes are expected to bring medals - kind of decoration for the facade of the nation. In the 1st Olympic week, Azeri athletes showed a poor performance (only one bronze medal) that was perceived as catastrophe at home. That's why on Aug 5, the president arrived in London to inspect the situation in person. That was the day when the greco tourney began. He attended it and wanted to see Bairamov winning gold at 55 (to pose with him for photos, etc. - you know presidents like to be visible close to winners). Bairamov lost the final and president Aliev angrily left the hall, didn't stay for the medal ceremony. I think many athletes, coaches and sport functionaries (in federations, sport ministry) may lose their positions and social and financial privileges they enjoyed before the Games.

Herbert match- brutal. I had the scoring as 3-2 Herbert (throw but rolling across back), then 1 + 2 for Sharifov, resulting in a 5-3 Sharifov final score. These crazy scrambles can be scored a lot of ways so a different score wouldn't bother me, but not putting any points on the board and restrating the match is inexcusable. May be a timekeeper rather than a referee error, but either way- brutal!

I didn't watch the 84 kg final yet, but Sharifov beating up on Espinal is an expected result. Canada's Adamson beat him this year (but lost to him in the qualifiers). Espinal rode a great draw, and a great upset, into the final but didn't have the quality of competition Sharifvo did.

I bet Dato is losing his mind right now. He'll probably never get another draw like that.

Max Askren who didn't place at US Olympic trials beat Espinal 7-0, Fall at the Schultz...Crazy.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.