Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beware Of Yoga

Default Re: Beware Of Yoga

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Focus on the exhale HERK
    Not helping...and neither are my allergies.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Are you holding the breath to a 6 count before switching nostrils ? eventually you'll get to holding 30 seconds and more .Force the breath into your stomach .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Flop,
    The Kundalini is the coiled serpent which resides in your spine - supposedly the life force to some and also a power to be harnassed , never unleashed . I was an avid advocate of Yoga and Gymnastics to improve my wrestlers self discipline and flexibility .
    Hence Tantric Yoga. Got my masters in that; last lifetime.

In the past few years many pro athletes are taking up yoga to work on their core strength & flexibility. Another good system for that is Pilates which was developed about 70-80 years about by Joseph Pilates not late night infomercial gurus.

Yoga and demonic possession
    Ban,
    I ran across this (among hundreds of like articles), when researching yoga .This one is amusing yet others swear you'll burn in hell or be possessed .

I bet you thought that yoga was a great way to improve flexibility, stretch and tone your muscles, and relax? Little did you know that by practicing yoga, you're risking your immortal soul.

This from Seattle pastor Mark Driscoll, who in a long, rambling directive to his flock, says,
    Giving sound teaching on yoga is important because there is increasing adoption of yoga by our culture, with over 15.8 million people practicing yoga and nearly every store you go into selling all kinds of yoga products. It’s gone mainstream. As such, Christians are also adopting it as a healthy aspect of exercise and lifestyle—complete with things like “Holy Yoga,” which is an oxymoron. Saying yoga can be Christian because you do it for Jesus is a bit like going into a mosque, going through the worship practices, and then saying you’re not a Muslim because you’re doing it for Jesus. They don’t mix.
    He said about Christians trying to inject Christian beliefs into yoga that "you cannot redeem such a thing... (it is) unchristian, against scripture, and thus demonic in nature."

So, I wonder where you draw the line? If you do a "downward dog" pose to stretch before a run, are the demons ready to pounce? Does the lotus position somehow invite Satan to attack me because my feet are asleep, so I won't be able to run away? (At least that's what always happens to me when I go into the lotus position.) Is my wife's yoga mat infused with Demonic Energy? What will happen if our cat sleeps on the yoga mat? Will he become possessed by evil spirits? (Actually, possession by evil spirits might actually be an improvement on this cat's current personality.)

What I find astounding about all of this is not that some wingnut has made a bizarre pronouncement. That, after all, is what wingnuts do. What I find amazing is that people still continue to attend his church and believe what he has to say afterwards. If in my classroom, I started claiming that the Earth's mantle was composed of cherry pie filling, and that lava is red because of the cherry juice, my credibility would be compromised, to put it mildly. But this guy can babble away about how practicing yoga is inviting demonic possession, and his congregation just kind of sits there nodding and mumbling "Amen, brother," instead of guffawing directly in his face and walking out, which is what I would do.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Wow! I never dreamed that people would take yoga so damned seriously! First, its acceptance leads to acceptance of homosexuality, now you can't be a Christian and practice yoga!

Things get weirder every day...
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Ban,
    When I was teaching/coaching in Frankfort,In. parents actually had the local pastor speak to me about the evils of Yoga .i told him I'd stop teaching Yoga when he could tell me the name of every single author of the Bible .

I just find all of that so bizarre! I have to assume that people think that it is a religious belief/system, as opposed to what it really is and what we use it for in the U.S.

I'm with you: if I was coaching any level of wrestling, I would see it as critical to their overall fitness as wrestlers. It's the perfect supplement to traditional training.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.