Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware Of Yoga

Default Re: Beware Of Yoga

Yoga is hard shit. I do hatha yoga for 70 minutes twice a week right after high endurance spinning and heated yoga for 45 minutes twice a week. Next to wrestling I think yoga is the hardest discipline I've ever done. I can burn 1650 calories from the spinning and (heated) hatha classes. Yoga is not for pussies.

Hatha yoga is worth the effort for the breathing exercises alone .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

So, are the Hatha and heated yoga classes/styles the same then? I had heard of the heated yoga classes, but I was under the impression that those were done with Power Yoga, which I do as well.

This is kind of creepy!
    Yoga Dogs Calendar | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities
    Last edited by ban basketball; 08-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Our hatha classes build strength & flexibility & breathing techniques and lasts from 60 to 70 minutes. Hatha is the traditional form of yoga from which all other yoga stems. At leasts that's my understanding. Our classes are heated but not like the hot vinyasa yoga class. While the hatha class can be for beginers due to basic poses it is very long and intense. This instructor uses very little seated poses.

I do vinyasa once or twice a week too. It is much more energetic and focuses on postures to increase strength, flexibility, endurance and balance. It is for all levels but as yoga goes you can make even a beginner class hard by doing advanced poses.

There is even a vinyasa-pilate fusion class and an advanced class my wife takes. I refuse. The hatha and vinyasa is all I can bare. I usually go row or sit in my sweat waiting for her during those classes. By the way...my favorite is "child pose". I disgust her i think. Ha ha.

Funny how I'm slowly moving toward the aerobic and yoga training and away from lifting. I guess I'm surrendering to the idea I am aging. But yoga was an eye opener. Anyone who thinks that shit is easy is either not using proper forms or in a mega beginner class that is stretching only. Yoga is frigging hard.

pm,
    Do you find during the breathing and sitting exercises that your mind becomes more clear ? The next step for me was meditation and THAT , I believe , is where the parents get freaked out . I onc3e demonstrated alternate nostril breathing and was instantly labeled a heretic .Thus precipitating the move to gymnastics .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Russ, I think my wife would definitely agree with you as I would guess most of the people in the class. Honestly, I enjoy the class but I find it pretty strenuous and not overly peaceful. I think that's because I approach the classes incorrectly. I spin before yoga and I wear cotton sweats bottoms along with a hooded cotton pullover sweat top. I look more like I was working out in the mat room than yoga and spin classes. So by the time yoga starts I'm pretty spent and holding the different poses for so long, even simply warrior 1 & 2 and downward dog is a struggle...especially adding in the heated room and a full class of probably 35-40 + people.

There's probably a 4:1 female to male ratio (so I have that foing for me) and I'm impressed with the others balance, strength and stamina. I've been doing this for just over a year now and still feel pretty childlike. Long ago my wife signed me for the basic instructional class (while she, the show-off, went to the advanced instructional class) and it really helped me understand the positions we use most often and how to incorporate breathing into the movements. I think I'd be better off to yoga first while I'm fresh (and not in sweats) then spin but the classes aren't offer in that order.

I can't say enough good things about yoga particularly since I'm getting older. The whole body benefits in toning and muscle endurance was a shock to me. Plus we can continue yoga throughout our whole life. I'm sold. I just need not to push so hard so I can profit from the mental benefits as well.

How long have you been involved? What's your experiences?

I could do all the basics -the GOOD MORNING, the SERPENT, The one where you (while sitting on your knees ) reach back and hold your ankles and do pelvic thrusts ( the camel pose )...etc. i'd start with stretching , then breathing , then the actual positions . I could actually do head stands at one point .
    Now that my body is shot I simply BREATHE every morning and do light stretches .
    My pain Dr. was quite impressed with my controlled breathing for break through pain . I'd advocate the breathing exercises for everyone . A good book on the subject is entitled (oddly enough ) breathe by thik Van Than.
    Last edited by r.payton@att.net; 08-03-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Alternate nostril breathing?!!! Sounds like the devil to me. I just tried and failed.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Focus on the exhale HERK