Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

Jensen, I know from secretly stalking you on the workout page that you actually do the Olympic lifts. I've always been curious about them. Are they lifts I could learn on my own or is a coach needed so I don't bust a nad?

In an ideal world you'd be able to do them with a coach especially if you're just getting into them but if its a choice between doing the lifts without a coach, or not doing the lifts at all I'd tell you to do the lifts.

There are plenty of tutorial videos available (I'll post links to a few) and if you have the capability of videoing yourself there are many sites around that you could post the video to for critique on form.

Snatch
    Snatch, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube

Snatch, Part 2, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube

Snatch, Part 3, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube

Clean
    Clean, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube

Clean, Part 2, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube

Clean, Part 3, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

10,000 meter final live was actually pretty exciting as Mo Farah out sprinted the field to get a Gold Medal for Great Britain. America picked up a silver when Galen Rupp out kicked a pair of Ethiopians down the final stretch.

In other news Phelps got another yellow medal in the Medley relay today in his final event. Leaves his final stat at an absurd 22 medals with 18 Gold

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

J,
    What's your total for 3 events ? Bench, dead and snatch ?
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Most I've ever benched was 275 back when I was 19, most I've done recently was 265 about a year ago.

Pulled a 460 deadlift again about a year ago and haven't really worked to a 1RM on the movement since then.

Snatched 207 for a new record just today, I'd been stuck on 205 for almost a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Most I've ever benched was 275 back when I was 19, most I've done recently was 265 about a year ago.
    The Jensen steroid era..
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I was 15-20 lbs heavier than I am now and was specifically focused on the movement. I'd gotten it in my head that I wanted to bench 300, but that was the closest I ever got. I eventually got bored and switched focus.

The B team for America in dude's beach volleyball just went through to the quarters over the Russians. All the more impressive given that the American A team the defending gold medalists got knocked off yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Jensen, I know from secretly stalking you on the workout page that you actually do the Olympic lifts. I've always been curious about them. Are they lifts I could learn on my own or is a coach needed so I don't bust a nad?
    Q
    I was told by a college strength coach that Cleans were the best lift for wrestlers. I did them when I was wrestled but stopped years ago as I felt this was hard on the joints. Olympic lifts as so different than the power lifts Americans are used to. They required explosion technique instead of just brute strength.

Thanks Jensen and ODH. I've done the powerlifts for years. I'm just curious about Olympic lifts. I've never seen anyone in a gym do them but they look like they take every muscle working in sych to heave the heavier weights. I find that to be an interesting challenge, I just don't want to screw up and be unable to go to work the next day.