Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNI Panthers

Default Re: UNI Panthers

Russ, I'm not sold on Bonin anymore. Maybe it's just because he was on my fantasy team last year, but I really thought he'd do more than he did. He's gonna have to start beating to Ivy Leaguers if he wants to get on the podium.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    There is no reason that Colon and Loder weren't on the podium last year. I fully expect Colon to finish in the top four. I thought he was capable of it last year.

I am also very excited about Cody Caldwell. Not sure how good he will be but he was damn good in high school. Same with Hiatt, Krumwiede, Wolfensperger and pretty much the whole damn team. I have not looked at the matchups in any detail but I wouldnt be suprised if they take down the mighty Cyclones.
    I'd say the chances of a UNI victory over the clones is pretty good, especially with McCauley staying at the OTC. Here's my rough early take on that match-up.

125-Finch v. Colon (Should be a good match with Finch being trained up by Nickerson and Colon with Schwab I'd call it a toss up)
    133-Meeks/Hallman/Cash v. Wolf (I hope Jackson redshirts Meeks, but either way I'd say this us UNIs)
    141-Goettl/Blake Meeks? v. Lazor/Reiter (It's hard to speculate on this one, but if Reiter goes I'd give it to UNI unless super Goettl shows up)
    149-Mayfield/G. Moreno v. Hiatt/Reiter (Again, I'd like to see a redshirt for lil Moreno. I've always thought Hiatt is great I'd have to go UNI here)
    157-Trent Weatherman/M. Moreno/Molina v. Bonin (I give it to UNI unless one of those three really taps into their potential this season)
    165-Tanner Weatherman/M. Moreno v. Banach/Jensen (I think Weatherman will go for ISU and my gut says the match-up is a toss-up)
    174-England v. Caldwell (Tough to say since they've never met but England placed higher at the tournaments they were both at last year, I'll give it to ISU)
    184-Beard v. Loder (Beard and Loder wrestle tight it seems but I think Loder has the edge)
    197-Gadson/Shafer v. Kettmen/Cabell/McBroom (I'd give this one to ISU, even if Gadson is down it sounds like Shafer has been bulking up)
    HWT-Gibson v. Beale/Krumweide (I give this to ISU as well, Gibson seems to keep getting better)

Russ, I'm not sold on Bonin anymore. Maybe it's just because he was on my fantasy team last year, but I really thought he'd do more than he did. He's gonna have to start beating to Ivy Leaguers if he wants to get on the podium.
    Herk,
    I believe Bonin can break out this year only if he controls his weight and conditioning better . Somedays he looks unbeatable then the next he looks like a jr high kid . No doubt about his talent .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

There were some pretty decent Ivy Leaguers at 157 last year...
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Other than Dake, who? Peppleman? Bonin lost to Kolodzik twice and OHara once.

I was sitting by OHara's mother and sisters at NCAA's and it was very hard to cheer against him. They were nice people.

25% of the AA's were Ivy Leaguers at 157.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post Herkey, but you do recall that Bonin pinned Peppelman in the 1st round at NCAA's this year, right? Bonin made the round of 12 this past year, and has improved each year, so I'm feeling good about his chances.

I should also say too that I think I recall hearing from a great source that Jarret Jensen may be going either 157 or 165. If he tries to go 157, I think that Bonin beats him out, but he will give Bonin a go for the slot. I still say that 165 is Jensen's best chance to get into the lineup.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

I like Bonin and I don't really want to bag on him too much but he can beat a guy like Peppleman but lose to guys that shouldn't be lost to. The only way I see him AA'ing this year is if he becomes more consistent.

This is probably why I'm still suspicious about Colon actually going down to 125, but I recall talking to people last year who, shall we say, "know him VERY well," who said emphatically that he WAS NOT going to go 125 last year.

I'm just curious what changed that, aside from maybe the suggestion of how much it would strengthen the team with him at 125 and Wolfensperger at 133. Definitely a big change of tune though, if he does go 125.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.