Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto reviews wanted

Default Re: Auto reviews wanted

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    For my job, I drive more than any person in America (and, yes, I'm almost not kidding). I owned an AWD Subaru legacy and Forester for a while, but the problem with them is that 99.9% of the time you don't need the AWD, which lowers their gas mileage HUGELY! Sure, when it is snowy they are great, but most of the time it is not, and with them runing on AWD, their gas mileage sucks.

So, I now own a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 259,000 miles, and gets 37 mpg on the highway. Not as good in snow, but, in Iowa, when it snows bad, everything closes down anyway, so few of us really need AWD or 4WD (little known fact about those who live in snowy states; things close anyway so you don't need those kind of vehicles, unless you live in the country).
    Actually living in the country and in an area where it snows a lot, AWD is not that critical. It is only necessary if you are on the road during the heaviest part of the snow storm. The towns and state are so good at clearing the roads because they do it so often. When I lived in PA a good size snowstorm would take days to clear and there were typically 2-3 such storms a winter.

Still for the few times a year I need to get home when it is snowing I am glad I have AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Do you or someone you know have one of these? I have looked at them on the net but haven't driven one or know anyone who has.
    My brother in law (ex) has an outback with over 250,000 miles on it and loves it . AWD is great .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Thanks guys. I will check out the Subaru's too. I don't really have any problem in the snow. My little Honda Accord has never gotten stuck. I want the AWD or 4WD more for off road. A lot of the places we kayak and/or camp have steep dirt roads. When they get muddy, my 2WD old truck struggles.

I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox LT, AWD, which has some comfort and performance upgrades. The AWD is off except when the the computer senses slippage, then it kicks in automatically for rain, snow and gravel. Routinely I'll get 28-29 mpg highway, 25 mpg combined city highway. The difference is in the gas mileage you get when not in AWD mode. Storage space - plenty, or enough sleep space for two in really bad weather. Roof rack capable enough for two kayaks. I'd go back roading with it, but it's not vehicle to go into rough backcountry and crossing streams with.

Best part...the most comfortable bucket seats you ever sat in.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Recently purchased a Lincoln MKX that my wife chose over the Lexus rx 450H and BMW X5. She is very happy with its performance albeit that she has only owned since last October. The AWD was awesome last winter and it cruises great on the highway in the summer. It is identical in all pratical sense to the Ford Edge which is also a very nice vehicle. If I could've chosen any Iof the three myself I'd have to go with the Lexus Hybrid. It handled amazing and the mileage was about 10mpg better than all the rest. The salesman was the problem with the Lexus or that is what I would've purchased.

I haven't looked at all of them yet but the Honda CRV has just taken a commanding lead. It's in my price range with AWD and a ton of storage space. It also comes wit rubber mats throughout which is a plus when loading a muddy dog. Downfall is luggage racks are extra but I think I can bring in the hammer (my wife) to get those thrown in.

The Toyota RAV4 is a distant second. Don't like the back hatch opening sideways. Otherwise its very comprable to the CRV. Still have the Equinox to check out. Subaru was out of my price range. I don't even think my wife can get 8-10k knocked off. I think the CRV and RAV4 will end up right at 20k when she's done.