View Poll Results: Who will win at 96 kg?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gadisov- Russia

9 36.00%
  • Yadzani- Iran

10 40.00%
  • Gayzumov- Azerbayjan

1 4.00%
  • Gogchelidze- Georgia

0 0%
  • Balci- Turkey

0 0%
  • Varner- USA

5 20.00%
  • Tigiev- Uzbekistan

0 0%
  • other

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 96 kg freestyle- Olympic predictions

Default Re: 96 kg freestyle- Olympic predictions

You only deserve what you earn.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

"Best Wrestler" varies from day to day. The champion is the champion.

What a turnaround from the World Cup! I said then that Varner could wrestle better but I didn't think he could win the Olympics. I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    Paper doesn't wrestle. Who says Yazdani would have won? Varner won and deservedly so.

Congratulations from Canada, Jake Varner. You were a machine today.
    Reza Yazdani (Iran) vs Jake Varner (USA) 96kg 2012 Freestyle World Cup - YouTube

The evidence suggests yazdani would've smashed him in the final, varner isn't top 5 maybe top 7 in the world if you take in all wrestlers, akhmedov, balci and yazdani all took it to him at the world cup

Burroughs is the best 74kg, i don't dispute that, but no way varner is the best 96 wrestler, doesn't mean american fans can't celebrate and enjoy the win, if esmaeilipour or rahimi came through and got a gold the same way i wouldn't be complaining but i wouldn't say they're the best either.

Isn't it possible that Varner learned from his losses and improved?

Quote Originally Posted by gbdaz View Post
    Reza Yazdani (Iran) vs Jake Varner (USA) 96kg 2012 Freestyle World Cup - YouTube

The evidence suggests yazdani would've smashed him in the final, varner isn't top 5 maybe top 7 in the world if you take in all wrestlers, akhmedov, balci and yazdani all took it to him at the world cup

Burroughs is the best 74kg, i don't dispute that, but no way varner is the best 96 wrestler, doesn't mean american fans can't celebrate and enjoy the win, if esmaeilipour or rahimi came through and got a gold the same way i wouldn't be complaining but i wouldn't say they're the best either.
    do you feel the same way about the 96 kg Greco champion?

BTW I'll take Gogchelidze over any of the guys Yazdani beat last year when he won his title. Actually very similar situation to Varner, didn't face any of the favorites and as this threata dicusses earlier there were some injuries in the bracket. I do think it sucks that he got hurt and I would have loved to see a rematch between Yazdani and Varner. Just keep in mind that Varner wrestled like crap at the world cup; he's had better preformances before and (obviously) since.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 08-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbdaz View Post

You're a sore loser.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    do you feel the same way about the 96 kg Greco champion?

BTW I'll take Gogchelidze over any of the guys Yazdani beat last year when he won his title. Actually very similar situation to Varner, didn't face any of the favorites. I do think itsucks that he got hurt now and I would have loved to see a rematch between Yazdani and Varner. Just keep in mind that Varner wrestled like crap at the world cup; he's had better preformances before and (obviously) since.
    The greco champ was the best out of the 96kg wrestlers in the olympics but the best 96kg wrestlers weren't in the competition.
    Balci beat varner and yazdani beat balci so you can take gogshelidze but varner couldn't get past balci, and yazdani beat balci, so its definately not the same. Sheikov is just as good as gogshelidze at this stage imo, especially the way he wrestled in istanbul.
    Varner did well i'm not debating that, he won, but he is by no stretch the best, over the past year and a half he's been pretty consistent in his level he gets some nice wins, but gets beat consistently of some guys e.g akhmedov, balci etc, who are by no stretch the best either.

He's the best today. Only thing that matters.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    You're a sore loser.
    Nope just stating facts.