Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Default Re: Does this make any sense to anyone?

And a hush falls over the crowd. Looks like the Judge decided he was mistaken, I wonder why? If he changed his mind because of public pressure he doesn't need to be judge, but I am glad for the girl that he came to his senses.

does that mean we can close this thread now? :P

A 17-year-old Texas honors student who was jailed for missing too much school because she had to work two jobs to support her siblings, refused to accept the more than $100,000 a website raised for her. "We saw her trying to work and trying to go to school and trying to do all these things and then to have the judge put her in jail for missing school just seemed a little harsh," said Paul Dietzel, who helped raise the money for Diane Tran. HelpDianeTran.com is a project of the Louisiana Children's Education Alliance.
    But Tran didn't want the money: "There's some other kid out there struggling more ... than me," she said.
    The 11th-grader's story sparked national outrage last week after a Houston judge charged her with contempt and sent her to jail after 10 unexcused absences in a six-month period, which is the law in the state of Texas.
    "If you let one of them run loose, what are you going to do with the rest of them?" Judge Lanny Moriarty told ABC News affiliate KHOU. "A little stay at the jail is not a death sentence," he said.
    After Tran's parents got divorced, supporting her older brother and younger sister fell to her. Her mother relocated out of state and her father often worked too late to come home, according to Mary Elliot, Diane Tran's boss at her weekend job.
    After going to school from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tran worked full-time at a dry cleaner's. On weekends, she helped Elliot throw weddings. Tran said that some mornings it was just hard to get out of bed.
    "I can understand if a child is staying out of school, running around, a bad kid, getting into trouble, taking drugs," said Elliot. "I can understand why he would slap them into jail for 24 hours. But Diane doesn't do that. All she does is work and go to school."
    Tran's attorney, Brian Wice, told ABC News that he met with the Moriarty and convinced him to reverse his decision and drop the contempt charge, hoping to clear Tran's record
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    And a hush falls over the crowd. Looks like the Judge decided he was mistaken, I wonder why? If he changed his mind because of public pressure he doesn't need to be judge, but I am glad for the girl that he came to his senses.
    Or maybe he vacates his order on every person he holds in contempt----just so he treats everyone fair and equal.

I don't see politics in Ms. Trans future as she refused to accept money . $100,000 K plus would help her out alot right now.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

This has been a very entertaining thread. Couldn't have ended better for the girl or the thread.

Nor for me either as I placed BB's ignorant ass on ignore.
    LOL.............

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Nor for me either as I placed BB's ignorant ass on ignore.
    LOL.............
    What does this ignore function do? If it means I can't read someone's post then I don't want to do it.
    Last edited by quinn14; 06-02-2012 at 10:32 AM.