Thread: SEAL Wins Medal of Honor

Default SEAL Wins Medal of Honor

Lt. Michael P. Murphy received the award posthumously, he was the first to receive the award for actions undertaken in Afghanistan.

His citation...

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life and above and beyond the call of duty as the leader of a special reconnaissance element with Naval Special Warfare task unit Afghanistan on 27 and 28 June 2005. While leading a mission to locate a high-level anti-coalition militia leader, Lieutenant Murphy demonstrated extraordinary heroism in the face of grave danger in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. On 28 June 2005, operating in an extremely rugged enemy-controlled area, Lieutenant Murphy's team was discovered by anti-coalition militia sympathizers, who revealed their position to Taliban fighters. As a result, between 30 and 40 enemy fighters besieged his four member team. Demonstrating exceptional resolve, Lieutenant Murphy valiantly led his men in engaging the large enemy force. The ensuing fierce firefight resulted in numerous enemy casualties, as well as the wounding of all four members of the team. Ignoring his own wounds and demonstrating exceptional composure, Lieutenant Murphy continued to lead and encourage his men. When the primary communicator fell mortally wounded, Lieutenant Murphy repeatedly attempted to call for assistance for his beleaguered teammates. Realizing the impossibility of communicating in the extreme terrain, and in the face of almost certain death, he fought his way into open terrain to gain a better position to transmit a call. This deliberate, heroic act deprived him of cover, exposing him to direct enemy fire. Finally achieving contact with his headquarters, Lieutenant Murphy maintained his exposed position while he provided his location and requested immediate support for his team. In his final act of bravery, he continued to engage the enemy until he was mortally wounded, gallantly giving his life for his country and for the cause of freedom. By his selfless leadership, Lieutenant Murphy reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Note: Anyone even hints at playing political games in this thread gets banned, no questions asked.

I did consider putting this in the P&R board, but I decided to put it here instead.

I created this thread because I wanted to make note of the honoring of the actions of a great American, if you feel otherwise about whatever, perhaps it would be best if you refrained from commenting in this thread.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: SEAL Wins Medal of Honor

thanks for the info, hadn't read about this one. And, it does belong here as this is not political mumbo jumbo.

I saw this on the news last week. The "anti-coalition militia sympathizers" were shepherds. The US troops knew they might alert the enemy if they let them go. If they killed the shepherds, no one would know the troops were there. Since they were not enemy combatants the troops let them go.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Thats right, about them debating over, then not killing the shepherds. The only survivor of the SEAL Team, Marcus Luttrell has since written a book detailing the incident, and from what I hear he mentions that.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I thought this was going to be about the singer. Boy was i wrong.

Another SEAL MOH recepient, this one a wrestler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_R._Norris

They say that this generation falls short when compared to the "great" generation of WWII. Lt. Murphy proved how wrong the nay-sayers were. His actions stand right up there with Audie Murphy and Sgt Alvin York.

Thanks for posting this Jensen.

Rest in Peace Lt. Murphy, my family thanks you and all the other's that have served and continue to serve our country.
    http://www.youtube.com/TonyAvallone
    Dad of Karissa 155lb Varsity College Freshman