Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2

Default Re: What are you reading 2

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Weaver was a retired green beret -his wife was a fundamentalist who believed in the coming apocalypse so Weaver bought some land in a very remote area and home shooled their kids and learned to live off the land .Just wanted to be left alone .
    I don't think he retired from the Green Berets. He was a Green Beret but didn't retire. In fact, he said one of the reasons he wanted to move out of society was because he couldn't see himself working in a factory for another 30yrs just for 3 weeks vacation to a tourist trap every year. But, yeah, he and his family just wanted to be left alone. Looks like his mistake was attending the Aryan Nation meeting out of curiosity. That's where the snitch found him and set him up. And when I say that I mean that it was actually found to be entrapment in court. It's a shame that the government can't just let people live.

On October 8, 1971, following three years of duty, Randy Weaver received an honorable discharge from the Army. That November, Weaver and Jordison were wed in a ceremony at the First Congregationalist Church in Fort Dodge, Iowa. In an attempt to impress Vicki's family, the couple arranged for two ministers to conduct the ceremony: a minister from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and a Congregationalist pastor.
    After Randy and Vicki wed, Randy enrolled at the University of Northern Iowa to study criminal justice, and wanted to become an FBI agent. Weaver dropped out, however, because the tuition was too expensive.
    Randy found work at a local John Deere factory; Vicki worked first as an executive secretary, and then as a homemaker.[3]
    The couple began to harbor more fundamentalist beliefs, with Vicki believing that the apocalypse was imminent.[4] To follow Vicki's vision of her family surviving the apocalypse in a remote area, the Weaver family moved to a 20-acre (81,000 m2) property in remote Ruby Ridge, Idaho, and built a cabin there in the early 1980s.[3] They paid $5,000 USD cash and traded their moving truck for the land, valued at $500 an acre.[5]

I'm not sure ( that or can't remember ) if weaver was at an AN show or just at a gun show -where the AN recruits heavily-doesn't really matter as the Govt. has already labeled him a subversive and tried to set him up by altering 2 shotguns .The govt.Snitch-who had a jacket an arm long -approached WEAVER to break the law-not the other way around .Basically a set up.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

That is some very odd text. Yet, pretty much true. Weaver said in his book that he attended the AN congress where he met the snitch. The two became "friends" and when Weaver was down on his luck (money wise) the dude asked if he could by some shotguns. Weaver needed the money and they agreed to $700. Then the dude asked him to saw it off for him. Weaver didn't understand why he had to saw it off instead of the other dude doing it himself, but did anyway. That is what made it illegal. Then the guy said he only had $350 on him and would give him the rest later. Which he never did. The guy simply got screwed and his family had to pay with their lives for basically nothing.

I am on the last Chapter of The House at Pooh Corner
    It is my third time through both of the Pooh books (once for each kid)
    They are incredibly great children's books that have a really witty quips aimed at adults throughout the story.

A.A. Milne was a respected writer who basically made up stories to entertain his son (Christopher Robin). When Christopher Robin got too old for these stories he completely stopped writing them. The last chapter is about how Christopher Robin is now going to school and learning things and knows he won't being spending that much time anymore with Pooh and his friends. He makes Pooh promised to still come visit every once and while. meanwhile Pooh is completely oblivious to what is going on. It is a really sweet, poignant story that will probably make me tear up as I read because I am such a sap and know that my youngest is growing up (He will be in first grade next year).

Disney, of course, has completely bastardized and exploited Pooh. All of the Disney produced Pooh books are horrible and should be banned.

Maybe the best line ever written in a children's book:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
    "It's the same thing," he said.”

Well I'm going for it. I was supposed to read Paradise Lost 100yrs ago in college. I cliff noted that sucker and then copied a girl's book report that she had done the year before. I have recently been informed that it has been translated into modern english. I have it ordered from Amazon. I may finally complete my homework and for some reason I'm excited.

I just finished Rome 1960 by David Maraniss. I'm currently reading A Universe from Nothing - about the big bang - by Lawrence Krauss while I wait for the latest Dennis Lehane and Lee Child books to come out.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I've read (upon your advice ) all the Reacher novels . thanks.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    I've read (upon your advice ) all the Reacher novels . thanks.
    Try Robert Crais. He's another of my favorites.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.