Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists signs blocked in NY

Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    The people who freak out whenever they see a cross on public land or the Ten Commandments in a public school.......If it doesn't affect them, then why do they freak out?
    They probably freak out for the same reason that NRA member who don't live in DC or Chicago freak out about those cities passing gun restrictions, even though it doesn't affect them.

Why can't public schools say the Pledge of Allegiance without some atheist freaking out? Why are atheist the only ones who are allowed to be offended?
    When a science class in a public school teaches that currence science points towards the theory of evolution lots of people get offended. I'm pretty sure that most of the offended aren't atheists.

What if I'm offended by the atheist speaking on public ground? Why can't I sue them?
    What's stopping you from sueing them?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Then you would not be MOST then would you? It is not a presumption. It is EXPERIENCE.
    Your are stating your personal experience as a fact. If you started your sentence with "I have found..." or "In my opinion.." then I don't have an argument. I think I am much more typical of most atheists than those who have an agenda

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    They probably freak out for the same reason that NRA member who don't live in DC or Chicago freak out about those cities passing gun restrictions, even though it doesn't affect them.
    Agreed.

When a science class in a public school teaches that currence science points towards the theory of evolution lots of people get offended. I'm pretty sure that most of the offended aren't atheists.
    They are not offended at those teachings. They are offended that they aren't allowed to teach the other point of view.

What's stopping you from sueing them?
    That comment was a joke. I'm sure I could sue, but there are far too many senseless lawsuits anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    No offense meant, Quinn, but I do think I'm right about this and I don't think that you can group people like ODH and myself who simply want government to be religiously neutral with militant atheists who cringe at the word "God" like the Wicked Witch in a rainstorm.
    No offense taken. But, I still have to disagree about religion on public ground. Do you consider atheism a religion? Many people don't, but the guy in the article does. So if he thinks it is a religion then it should be held to the same standards as Christianity. Here is his quote where he says the Jews are infringing on his religious ideas.

"It has been very disconcerting to see that the traditional victims of religious bigotry have become the purveyors of religious bigotry," said Silverman, who was raised in the Jewish faith.

Do you consider atheism a religion? Many people don't, but the guy in the article does.
    Good question. I've never thought about it but I guess I'd have to say no. If religion is a set of beliefs based around faith in a supreme being, than atheism is simply a lack of religion; a belief that there is no supreme being. An atheist can believe in an ethical system which governs his conduct, but it isn't based upon a deity or a holy book.

I don't want to go around in circles again about the issue of religious use of public property, but I think I've made my position and the reasons for it pretty clear in my last few posts.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Your are stating your personal experience as a fact. If you started your sentence with "I have found..." or "In my opinion.." then I don't have an argument. I think I am much more typical of most atheists than those who have an agenda
    Well if that that has been my exeperience then it is a fact. It might not be true for you but that has what I have seen play out to be true for me. Many atheist i have encountered online are very anti-religion. If you are not then I got that & understand. I never grouped you into any such group if you re-read my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Well if that that has been my exeperience then it is a fact.
    KR, that's not logical. If you had said"Most atheists I've come in contact with are..." rather "Most atheists are..." then you'd be more believable.

If I met one Russian and she turned out to be a murderer it wouldn't make sense for me to say "Most Russians are murderers". Personal experience is not fact.

This happened not too long ago in the town I used to live in before moving to Virginia. (Mansfield, OH)

Mansfield company rejects atheist billboards - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

I do not understand how these Atheists groups think they are going to draw people in when they antagonize people.

Just trying to understand. Spider and ODH, what do you base your ethical system off of?
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    KR, that's not logical. If you had said"Most atheists I've come in contact with are..." rather "Most atheists are..." then you'd be more believable.

If I met one Russian and she turned out to be a murderer it wouldn't make sense for me to say "Most Russians are murderers". Personal experience is not fact.
    I never said I met ONE Russian. I have in fact in my 30 years on the internet met literally hundreds of atheists online & in person.